katefrei
katefrei asks:
Q:

My principal wants to departmentalize 2nd and 3rd grade. I am against this as I think this is not developmentally appropriate. Am I wrong?

In Topics: School and Academics, Working with school administrators, My child's growth and development

|
ronald
ronald writes:
Katefrei,

By departmentalizing 2nd and 3rd grade, do you mean combining the two grade levels? Most parents and teachers do not like combination classes. However, funding is so tight for many schools that the adminsitration is constantly looking for cost cutting options. I am aware of one study. This study found no loss in student achievement resulting from combination classes. See reference below.

Ron

1
0
katefrei
katefrei writes:
My principal wants one teacher to teach Reading to both the 2nd grade and 3rd grade classes, another to teach Math, another to teach just writing and then one to teach just Science.  Thanks for the link.  I will check it out!!

1
0
ronald
ronald writes:
Katefrei,

This may not be a bad idea. Sometimes when teachers specailize, they invest more time in planning and executing great lessons. Hopefully, they will organize some ability groupings, or have other ways to differentiate the instruction. It is important that the 3rd grade students and especially the 3rd grade advance students continue to advance at an appropriate level.

Do let the readers here know the progress.

Ron

0
0
Anonymous