wyattsmomn
wyattsmomn asks:
Q:

How do I get the principal and teacher to listen?

I have a son in 1st grade. He is having trouble in reading and I have put him in tutoring. I go into the school at least once a week to deal with problems that arise. The last problem was it I called the Asst. Superintedent and got no response. First I think it's a little irresponsible to have kids standing out in the rain in 34 degree weather waiting to be picked up. When I said something to the principal she proceded to yell at me that she has not seen me there volunteering, which I can't in my situation. When I pick my son up from school he cries everyday that he doesn't want to ever go again. they laugh at him in class when he gets a question wrong and his teacher lets them, He is physically abused by other kids and when he tries to tell the teacher they won't listen to him, or tell him just to put his hand down. She has a system for disipline which is a ticket system for behavior, He was made to pull his ticket for forgetting one of his homeworks i was not sure how this was a behavior problem. The principal will no longer return my calls, nither will the teacher. I have called the asst. superintendent and still have not recieved a call back. How do I get them to listen to me or my son?
In Topics: School and Academics, Working with school administrators, My Relationship with my child's school

|

I hear the frustration in you post and I'm sorry that you are going through this.  From what you have described, I think there is a big communication problem. Not sure where the break down happened, but it is going to take some work on both sides to repair.

Here are a few suggestion that might help:

Since the school administrators and your son's teacher are not returning you calls, I would write a letter.  I would start off by telling them that you truly want to repair this relationship and you will do whatever it takes.  If you have done anything that might have upset them, apologize.  Clearly state in the latter what you want. It could be to set up a meeting or maybe some specific things you want to see happen.  (Personally I would go with setting up a face to face meeting with the principal, teacher and reading coach or guidance counselor.)  If you do have a meeting, go in with fact, concerns and questions.  Then you need to listen to what they have to say.  Stay calm, but don't be afraid to be heard - calmly.  The ultimate goal is to find some resolution and to do what is best for your son.

Take a day off of work and volunteer.  Not a field trip, but an actual day in the classroom.  See for yourself what's going on.  Sometimes children see things differently than adults.  Some children are more sensitive.  Maybe the teacher isn't as bad as you think, then again maybe she is.  You need to observe for yourself.  I know it's tough to get time off of work, but many bosses are understanding and will rearrange your schedule so you can do what is best for your child.

If there is another elementary school nearby in your school district, you might be able to put into a transfer.  This might require you to do the drop off and pick up, but maybe a change would be good for everyone involved.

Talk with other parents to see what their experience is like at the school.  This is not a time to gossip, but instead to get the facts.  There could be someone who could give you some insight as to how to best handle certain teachers.

Talk with the other teachers your son comes in contact with such as the PE coach, art and music teacher.  Ask them what they see and hear.

I hope this has helped or at least given you some ideas of which direction to take.

Good luck,

Barb Kruger
www.LessonPop.com

2
0
Anonymous