Lisa-jane
Lisa-jane asks:
Q:

what are the principles of building a relationship with children and young adults?

In Topics: Parenting / Our Family, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Hand in Hand

I think all good relationships are built on warmth, caring, mutual respect and a willingness to listen to and accept one another. Relationships with children are especially tender and deserve extra attention and care as children are developing their concepts of the world and their place in it. Children look to the relationships with caring adults in their lives to answer many questions. They want to know, "Do I belong?" "Am I doing all right?" "Do you see who I am?" and "Am I safe with you?"

They may not ask these questions with words, but they are looking to their relationships for the answers. It's important that you communicate how much you enjoy having the child or young adult you want to build a relationship with in your life. You can do this simply by setting aside everything else for a moment and giving them your full attention and a warm look. Remain pleased and fully attentive to whatever the child or young person presents. You'll be amazed where things go when we make time for them to unfold.

Here are several articles from the Hand in Hand website that will shed more light on what we think are wonderful ways to build close, connected relationships. Enjoy sharing them with the children and young adults in your life!

Thanks for the fascinating question. I'd love to hear more about the principles you think are essential in building these relationships.

Julianne Idleman
Hand in Hand Parenting
www.handinhandparenting.org
3
0

concerned4ourchildren
concerned4o... writes:
There are many wonderful resources to refer to and I'd like to add another to the list.  "From a Child's Perception" is a newly released book that gives a slightly different view of childhood through a child's inexperienced eyes and it's different from other books and resources I've found to come to a parents aide. It discusses most everything children, some in detail to include ADD, ADD/HD, Childhood Depression, and common parenting mistakes made when adult life infringes on a child's right to have a safe, happy childhood free of adult battles. It's different because it's written from the heart of personal experience and easy to relate to.  "From a Child's Perception" can be found on several websites, but I've found the best pricing to be on the website below. As you can see by my avatar I'm a strong advocate for children and supporter of this book.

0
0