Anonymous asks:

Having a problem with my 6 year old reading

My son is in the first grade he is now starting to learn to read. He is a twin my other son is great he has been reading since he was 4 years old. They were born at 6 months so they were premature. I have been struggling with getting the help my son needs but I can't seem to get the right answers I have been getting the run around for the last couple of months. I have asked for him to be evaluated and the IRS told me I needed to take him to have him tested I am fustrated not being able to get an appointment for him what do I do!!!
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Learning disabilities
> 60 days ago



Mar 29, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Federal law entitles a parent to request a Child Study Team to evaluate your child to see if he is entitled to an IEP.  You should have a school psychologist at your school that you can request and evaluation be done. You can also speak to your pediatrician to see if he/she agrees with you.  Has his teacher confirmed that he is struggling with reading.  Is it just reading or is it his processing and comprehension?  It is important to get as much input from all of the professionals who work with your son.
Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely