Anonymous
Q:

What professional is qualified to diagnose Dyspraxia?

I've read many articles about it but none answer that question. My grandson displays some mild symptoms of fine motor skill dysfunction, but he is very bright and has an amazing ability to reason for a 9 year old. The educational system does not seem to be set up to help this form of disability. He was held back in 1st grade because of poor reading and writing skills. If he had been diagnosed earlier, this probably would not have happened.

He entered second grade and still struggled. We heard about a vision therapy specialist (doctor) and got him help from him and his group. Our grandson improved in reading but not writing. His teacher said he was just at the reading level for second grade, but she still couldn't read his printing.

My husband offered to home school him to help him improve these skills. His parents agreed to pull him out of school and have him home schooled by his grandfather.  My husband has been working with him and has brought him a long way in just a few weeks. His parents wanted this help on a short term basis to bring him up to speed, but now wish to put him back in school in September, 2010. In order to have the public school system understand my grandson's disorder, I thought it might be necessary to have a detailed professional diagnosis. I would appreciate any help you can offer us.
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning disabilities

|

It sounds like you and your husband have been working very hard on your grandson's behalf. He is very lucky to have your support and dedication. As you may know, studies show that children thrive academically and emotionally when they have at least one supportive adults in their life (your grandson has many!).

An occupational therapist is qualified to diagnose dyspraxia. I have included a link to The American Occupational Therapy Association, a national accrediting body for occupational therapists, below for more information.

To find a local occupational therapist, search your yellow pages for conduct an internet search for "occupational therapist" and your local area. Look for an occupational therapist that specializes in children.

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Child Psychologist
1
0

JoniPT
JoniPT writes:
You would still need a physician (developmental pediatrician, pediatric neurologist) to give him a diagnosis of dyspraxia.  With or without a diagnosis though, I agree that the best treatment would be occupational therapy (OT) to identify the problem areas and help to improve his writing skills.  His pediatrician should be able to refer you to a good local pediatric OT.  Also, once he's back in school, he should be evaluated there for OT and then he could receive services there as well.

Your grandson is lucky to have such a great support system!

0
0
Momtimes3
Momtimes3 writes:
I recently had my nine yr old evaluated by a pediatric occupational therapist.  He has ADHD.  But it wasn't until I had him evaluated here, that we became aware of his dysgraphia, level of motor skills, visual processing issues, etc.  I am already seeing a difference.  He is a very intelligent child that disliked writing.  Now I understand why.  He is actually writing for fun now.  Good luck!

0
0