Q:

Is there a program that allows victims of high school bullying to stand up and fight against bullying?

Asked by a member via Contact Us:

I was wondering if there is a program allowing the victims of high school bulling to stand up and help out with the fight against bullying. I wanted to know because not only was i bullied on a daily basis but also for a the years i went to school. I tried to get the attention of the principal and nothing happened, the councilor only put a note in my file. Nobody did anything about the abuse and harassment, and I believe it is well over due for a change in how the schools handle bullying. These children need to know that there is hope for them and that their is life outside of being bullied.
In Topics: Bullying and teasing, Volunteering and citizenship

|

Since I don't know where you live, how old you are, what experiences you have had, this question is a little difficult to answer.  However, here are some general ways and places where you can get involved.  

Check with local law enforcement.  They sometimes have programs where they go out to schools, youth groups, scouts, and clubs to discuss bullying.  

If you belong to a religious organization, ask if you can speak to the children when they meet.  You can create your own curriculum/lessons.  education.com has a fantastic set of resources.

Community Family Services Programs might also have a program that is already established.  You can volunteer your time and ask to do small parts during the presentation.

The Boys and Girls Clubs have programs and could probably use an extra set of hands.  

Bullying has been around for ages, but it has been a major topic in the news lately.  I agree with you that something needs to be done, and I'm glad to see that you are willing to give of yourself.  Children learn best when they hear stories about real people, real events, real feelings, and real effects.  You can make a difference.

Organizations are always looking for volunteers, so don't hesitate to get in touch with them to see what you can do to help.

1
0
Anonymous