Anonymous
Q:

What are the pros and cons of block scheduling?

My local high school is switching from normal period scheduling to block scheduling. What are some of the pros and cons of each type?

|

Good question.  Block scheduling has been around for many years now.  In some schools it works great while in other schools it has not been too successful.  Education.com has some articles on the topic.  Below are two that have some information you will find helpful.

I will say that in the schools where it has been successful, the whole school bought into the concept.  That means administration, staff, students and parents.  Teaching for longer periods of time is an adjustment and often teachers need professional staff development to help them transition.

Hope this helps.

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com
0
0

joberhau
joberhau writes:

I used to go to a high school that had block scheduling Tuesday through Thursday.  As a student, I enjoyed having fewer classes a day for longer periods of time.  My teachers also gave larger assignments; however, they were due a few days later because we had class less often.  I learned how to budget my time more efficiently and I learned that procrastinating usually got me into trouble.  Having seven subjects a day in highschool can get overwhelming, so for me block scheduling was a great solution.

0
0