Mariemax asks:

What can i do to protect my child from physical assaults in Grade 2?

My child is in grade 2.  For the second time this year he has been attacked - stabbed in the back of the head with a pencil - by another student.  This is the sixth incident of unprovoked violence that this student has perpetrated on her classmates.  Finally following the latest incident he has received a one day suspension.  The teacher and the Principal protect the culprit and allow the other children to be exposed to violence and physical abuse because "of reasons we are not at liberty to discuss because of student confidentiality". I have compassion for every child and I am not aware of her circumstances but at what stage does the needs of the 23 others students to attend school in a safe environment kick in?
In Topics: School and Academics, Bullying and teasing
> 60 days ago



Boys Town National Hotline
May 31, 2013
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

It is difficult as a parent to hear that your child is experiencing this type of behavior from classmates. The following are steps that are recommended when you have concerns about any bullying related situation that occurs within the school:

1.  Parents should contact the school and share their concerns.

2.  Parents can file a formal written complaint to the school regarding their concerns—this should prompt a formal investigation.

3.  Parents can request that the school provide safety plan/support for their child --who is a "safe person" for them to talk to or who might keep an eye out for potential problems in the future.

4.  Parents should ask for a finding on the complaint so everyone is aware of efforts taken to address issue.  In this case, what steps will the teacher do to avoid a similar situation in the future.  Similarly, is there anything your child should avoid doing that could be seen as out of control or disruptive?

5.  Every district has a superintendent and board of education that make decisions regarding issues that are not resolved; as a result parents should contact them with all unresolved issues.

6.  If you have worked with the schools and feel that there is still no resolution, you can contact your state's Dept of Education.

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

mestaples writes:
My daughter was sexual harassed in the 2nd grade.  We left it to the school to handle and of course, they did nothing.  I regret not involving the police or Child Protective Services.  If the school is not protecting your child, I would call the police and file charges.  That will force the school and this other child's parents to deal with it.  The school may not be at liberty to discuss this child's situation but they are required to provide a safe learning environment for all the students.  My daughter is now 15, after more issues with the school, we decided to homeschool and she is doing amazing!
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely