jonnie
jonnie asks:
Q:

Are there psychological effects on a 2yr 9mths toddler if away from a parent?

I have been away from my son for nearly 3.5 mths (although I did see him in June for a week) due to work committments. Are there any lasting psychological effects on him? I speak to him on a daily basis and wondered is there anything else I can do from where I am?
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Parenting / Our Family, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Hi Jonnie,

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this tricky time. I'm sure it's as hard on you as it is on your son to be apart for son long! I'll leave it up to the experts to talk about any lasting impacts your son may experience, but as a mom I can tell you that kids are incredibly resilient and bounce back from lots of the rough stuff they go through in their little lives.

I can think of a few things you can do to help keep your relationship going strong while you're gone. First, make sure his mom (or whoever's caring for him while you're away) has lots of current pictures of you. Make a scrap book so your son can look at pictures of you when he's on the phone with you. Also, there's such great, simple, and inexpensive video technology available these days. Maybe you could email short videos of yourself talking to your son? Also, there are lots of video phone services available now (like Skype) that let you see the person you're talking to. Although, most kids that age won't sit in front of the computer long enough to have a very meaningful chat. If you wanted to go "lower tech" you could make some recordings of yourself reading some of his favorite books. Then when he goes to bed at night he could listen to your voice while another grown up turns the pages and tucks him in. And of course, kids love to get mail so send lots of post cards!

I hope your work situation changes soon so that you can be together with your son again.

1
0
Anonymous