Q:

What do you think about public school districts reducing the school week to four days instead of five?

As the Wall Street Journal recently reported (http://bit.ly/axB2ZM ), a growing number of public school districts across the U.S. are shifting to a four-day school week to reduce costs (close budget gaps) and prevent or reduce teacher lay-offs.

What do you think about this approach? How would you respond if the school district for your child's school were to implement this approach?  

If your child's school district has already reduced its school week, how has that change impacted your child's education? What impacts (positive or negative) has it had on your family/household?  
Thanks for sharing!
In Topics: School and Academics, Working with school administrators

|
Patrick08
Patrick08 writes:
I think it's scary that at a time when America's students are already falling behind the rest of the world and we're going to need the next generation to be well educated to remain competitive, we're limiting the school week.  I understand the necessity of it with budgets as they are, the alternatives don't look pretty.  Firing teachers, closing schools, and bigger class sizes would all diminished education as well.

I think this is a big opportunity for the parents of America's youth to get more involved.  Instead of sitting in front of a TV or video game for that extra day off, learning activities should be incorporated.  Or, even physical activities would be good.  Keep the synapses firing.  If a parent is home during the day do some fun learning activities.  You can find those at the link I'll leave below.

1
0
Education.com includes some district examples and more information to consider in this new article, "4-Day School Weeks: Headed to Your District?" http://www.education.com/magazine/article/4-day-school-week/

0
0
SharaPCS
SharaPCS , Parent writes:
It's true that our students are already falling behind other nations. At the same time, some other nations have a much higher suicide rate because the stress to succeed is so great. My opinion - we need to make sure our kids are getting what they need in every regard. The "whole child" approach has been so lost over the years...no more recess in many schools...no way for kids to get that energy out...higher bullying rates. The list goes on and on.

I wish we could put art and PE and music back in every school! Math and reading are great but what about the rest of it?

And now we are going to remove a full DAY from the school week (or some people already have)? What will those kids do if the parents are working? Wander the streets? Sit in front of TV and video games? Become targets for predators in their neighborhoods?

On a more logistic note, our family lives in a very small town. Many of our kids are on the free meal program and for many of them - those are the only stable meals they get. If we remove one more day of school, that's one more day those kids go without food. I hate the very thought of that.

3
0