squirty2002
squirty2002 asks:
Q:

What's an appropriate punishment for a first grader?

My son is 6 years old. He is having issues with hitting at school. This is something new, he was never the type to hit other children. We are at the same time beginning therapy for his anxiety but due to the amount of referrals received by the office they will not be able to see him for a few more weeks. On Friday I received an email from his teacher and then a phone call from the principal letting me know that my son had punched another kid on the bus. While slightly provoked my son knows better than to hit. The other kid thought my son was trying to butt in line and would not allow him to get in front of him. After losing all of his video games privileges and not going down the shore he seemed remorseful. Then today at school he punched another student because the kid accidentally kicked him while doing a cartwheel. How do I punish my child?? I told him no TV, toys, or video games for a week. He is allowed school work and books. Is this to harsh?
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I am so sorry that your family is having a difficult time. I am glad that you are seeking professional help. In between, you may wish to contact the School Psychologist and/or Guidance Counselor in your sons school to help you create a behavior management system or develop and appropriate course of action.  They should be able to help you with positive behavior management and appropriate responses to negative behaviors.  Also, you may wish to consult a superb book by Michele Borba-  The big Book of Parenting Solutions (available nationwide)

If this is a new behavior, you also may wish to consult with your pediatrician.

Best wishes.

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Owner of Signing Families

2
0

kidhelper
kidhelper writes:
You need to tell him it not OK  takeing away a kid toy will not help you need to do it the old way lightly spank him its hard to do as parent but if it will help you child and stop the hiting you should do it

0
0
jimnaval
jimnaval writes:
if he likes hitting kids put him in karate so this ways he legally gets some of his  own medicine.  and most likely he would changed his mind
for anxiety they need rough sports not therapy unless, he sees his parents hitting each other.

0
0