sos123
sos123 asks:
Q:

how do I pursue a career in acting?

Hi, I am young 15 year old girl who is a visual learner the problem is with is that I really want to pursue a career in acting but i'm just not sure how i am going to memorise a whole script and follow instructions?

p.s sometimes i think this is a burden because i never seem to get anything right because i am a visual learner:(
In Topics: Jobs/Careers, Getting ready for college

|
Hi sos123,

Being a visual learner is not a handicap nor does it limit your potential or goals.  

A visual learner enjoys images, so as a visual learner you will be good at visualizing events and imagining situations.  A visual learner is a visual thinker, this may actually help you with an acting career.  You will have the ability to visualize your character and with the stage setting, it will place you right into the part.

As a visual learner you will do well with the printed script or images, and you have probably at 15, already mastered triggering memory in words.  

I've included a couple of links that you may find helpful!

It is also wise to keep an alternative plan in place.  Regardless of one's career paths, I think it is crucial for your development to have a fall back plan.  

Best wishes

1
0
Hi sos123,

Best wishes

2
0
LouiseSattler , Child Professional writes:

First, let me tell you that many actors have learning challenges. I know because I am the mom of a successful professional actor who has a history of learning disabilities.  She too is a visual learner and was able to memorize scripts (and improve her reading skills) by doing a few interesting techniques.  

First, she often used different color pens to help her memorize concepts.  Color coding was helpful for retention of information.

Second, she wrote a lot of what she needed to learn in script format.  To know what that is, go to the library and take out some simple TV script books.  It is a fun way to learn and will help with script rehearsing.

Third-My daughter learned a few good monologues and these too can be found at a library.  (see Teen Monologues as the search words).

Fourth- She took a 'zillion' acting classes, many free or inexpensive.  So try and take acting classes.  Go to recreation programs, community colleges, your school, private lessons- it doesn't matter where you get the experience- just get some under your "belt".  Once you start to act and see you can be successful then you will gain some much needed confidence!

Fifth- Practice with a friend! Make it fun!  It helps so many kids to work together!

Sixth- WRITE a script.  I believe, the best way to learn how to read a script is to write one!!  And if you want, try and film your endeavor!!

If you have a dream then try your best to reach your goals by being prepared.  This includes being able to gain some confidence.  Also, know that the professional acting career is TOUGH!  Many start small and stay in small markets, such as their local areas.  A piece of advice we received was NOT to go to Hollywood until one was very prepared and ready.  

For more information go to http://www.SAG.org

Also, you may wish to peruse http://www.IMDB.com to see what experience many known actors have had prior to making it "big".  (And how many thousands there are who work as not so big actors.  Also, you can obtain information about those with learning challenges..)

GOOD LUCK!! BREAK A LEG (in the acting sense)....

Louise Sattler
Mom of an actor and
School Psychologist

This answer also appeared in a question very similar.

1
0
susieforbes
susieforbes writes:
visual learner is not a barrier to having an acting career,s0s123. if you put your heart and you have the passion of pursuing an acting career all thing will fall into place.
memorising a screen won't be a problem if you seek help online on tips for memorising a scripts. importantly have a positive attitude and don't think of your career as a burden.

0
0
bobydallas
bobydallas writes:

0
0
SarahForman
SarahForman writes:
I think you are just make things worse. You keep saying "a visual learner" and here you stopped. If you have a dream, a goal and you want to reach it, if it is really important for you, you will find ways to solve that 'problem' (personally I don't think that this is a huge issue). There are so many ways to achieve your goals and get rid of a complex.

0
0
TaraLawful
TaraLawful writes:
The only way is to practice, practice a lot. The more you try to memorize the script, the easier it gets. Surely, to make a career as an actor you need more than memorizing skills. You need charisma and will to move forward. This kind of career is not always rewarding, so, you should do everything possible to get attention. Here is a great post that might help you get your first role:

0
0
markvtatum
markvtatum writes:
Start from making goals and reaching them as short as you can. Then try to make prior list of already reached goals. When your list will get more then 20 goals, try to make resume with CV and start improving your writing skills with cover letter.

0
0
KnockEmDead
KnockEmDead writes:
This question 10 years ago I'd say you're in for a bit of work. However, with the advent of the internet, I believe your goals can be achieved with practice and effort.

I have many pupils who also need more of a visual aid for learning, and I've found that sites like Slideshare.net are great resources for slides and graphic information.

In addition to that, be sure to use Google and add things like "Powerpoint" and "Presentation" with your keywords and you might find something great!

Best of luck to you in your journey.

1
0