Hermes
Hermes asks:
Q:

How do I put together an IEP for a 5 year old with Aspergers?

Does anyone have information as to how to put together an IEP for a 5 yr old child with Aspergers?
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Hello Hermes,

Putting together an IEP for a child with Asperger's will necessitate a team approach.  Parents/guardians, teachers, specialists and school administrators all make up this team. Together you will determine the strengths and weakness of a child in relation to their learning/academic success.  Then strategies for implementation , if warranted, will be determined to help improve weaker areas.  However, before an IEP can be created (if needed), a full evaluation of your child's current developmental status needs to be ascertained. If you have not already, please contact your school and ask for an initial special education meeting. Make all requests in writing (be sure to date each letter) and keep a copy for yourself.

In addition, to what you will learn through your local school district personnel, there are several good websites to help with children who have Asperger's.  Many discuss IEP development.  Also, the websites I will list for you have forums for parents to share experiences or to gain information from professionals in the area.

Of course, also peruse www.education.com for more information regarding instruction of special needs children.  I have listed some information from this site as well.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com
0
0

danacariola
danacariola writes:
now that u have the diagnosis, you will need an paraprofessional or an inclusion teacher along with the regular classroom teacher to assist your child, this is a must.
frequent breaks may be needed, so that your child is not over stimulated with too much information. Gym, recess and any other non-structured enviroment is a big concern. Children with asperger tend not to pick up on social cues and find this to be very awkward, these teachers must monitor them, and encourage them to participate, and must be very clear about the lesson and most of all, PATIENCE ON THE TEACHERS PART.  you as a parent should visit the school often.

0
0
ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
After writing many IEP's for children with autism, I really focus on academic.  I really try to modify the regular education objectives so that they are still working on academic objectives.  When it comes to accomodations and modifications I would look into schedules, shortened assignments, preferential seating.  Good Luck!

0
0