REFRAME
REFRAME asks:
Q:

My question is why adults are often so ineffective about controlling or preventing bullying. There must be something we don't understand about it!

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_...
I observed a teacher trying to correct a bully. He seemed to be competing with the young student for power and he certainly did not win! The results were (1) that the bully was more powerful after his harsh words, (2) the victim didn't appear to like his protective behavior and (3) the other students did not take the teacher's nor the victim's side, but the bully's side!!!
The bully was almost smiling when he went out of the classroom. The teacher could be the leader in the classroom, but the bully was the leader outside! That was what came to my understanding of the event. That teacher lacked the understanding of the hierarchical group process and could not handle the situation.

|