0utsp0ken
0utsp0ken asks:
Q:

My question is about dyscalculia. Does it affect the ability to read and follow diagrams such as technical instruction in a how to assemble manual?

I just found out about dyscalculia. My age is 56 years old and I have always felt like something was wrong but could never pinpoint the exact what. After reading about dyscalculia I felt an almost sense of relief that I have not imagined the difficulty I have encountered my whole life. My friends make fun of me because I cannot tell right from left, have no depth perception, have no ability to tell, judge or comprehend measurements, honestly have no ability to judge the amount of time that has passed (what I think is five minutes may be an hour), have always struggled with math of any kind, and cannot follow any type of technical instructions. The instructions and math problems are like they have been flipped over in my mind. I have always felt like I was missing some kind of foundation steps in math. Like everyone else understood the first two or three steps that I just did not understand or was never given. If by some miracle I was able to solve a math problem and arrive at the correct solution I have always been told I did it backwards. Backwards??For the life of me I cannot be on time even if I have every thing ready to go and try to never take my eye off the clock. Also trying to read any type of technical manual with diagrams is impossible everything is flipped over in my head and backwards. Please tell me this falls into symptoms of dyscalculia.
In Topics: Learning disabilities, Dyscalculia

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

Please see this website for some general information about dyscalculia http://www.ncld.org/types-learning-disabilities/dyscalculia/what-is-dyscalculia.

Also, www.Nasponline.org may prove of help.

Also, you may wish to pursue a psycho-educational evaluation by a School Psychologist or a Clinical Psychologist.  This will help determine your strengths and weaknesses and perhaps generate ways for compensation of any issues you may be having with reading and mathematics.

Louise Sattler,
Psychologist

0
0
Anonymous