bonnysmith
bonnysmith asks:
Q:

What do I do about my special needs child not being taught properly at school?

How do I handle my special needs child not being taught properly at school? They are just pushing him through the system. The students all have iPads and all he does is play games on his iPad. He does not use his school supplies that we bought. At his last IEP meeting they were talking about something that they wanted to put on his IEP but they would not tell me what it was. It took me 2 weeks to get a copy of his IEP and the minutes from the meeting were not included. As I read through his IEP the way they described him is that he can't learn so I guess why teach him. I asked to see his iPad at his last meeting and they wouldn't let me. I guess when he gets home from school I will have to teach him what he needs to learn.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Special needs

|
LineB
LineB writes:
You need to request a copy of the parent's rights handbook if you do not already have one. (By law you should have been given it at the start of every school year.) I am a special education teacher and what you just described is very upsetting. Each states IEP guide lines and laws vary slightly, however, you should be given a copy of the IEP at every meeting along with the minutes and most states require parents to get a draft version before the meeting. Also by LAW they cannot refuse to give you access to your students records and or data. I really think you need to check your state's IEP laws and your school's handbook. There are a lot of safeguards in place to protect your student and to make sure that they are being provided with the best quality education. Please, please look into these things and talk to your LEA about them. Schools are required t follow federal and state laws in terms of IEP's and special education! Good luck!

2
0
JKroegher
JKroegher writes:
Look for services in your area that only service people with special needs. Contact a few of those agencies to find your answers. They are very helpful when it comes to referring you to all the services available in your area. I have worked in the field for many years and still call on other agencies locally to help me find services for the folks I work with. Hope this helps!

1
0
kathleendebarr
kathleendeb... writes:
Depending on where you live, you should be able to seek legal advice and the district will have to pay for it, should you win the case, which sounds like you would. This is terrible! You should be able to receive a copy of the IEP at the meeting! There is a place where you sign that states you received a copy. The IEP is a legal and binding document. If you do not like what is says you can meet again, regardless of the dates stated on the document. You should get a lawyer!

1
0
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk.

This website may be of assistance to you and to help with your rights as a parent regarding IEP goals... http://www.WrightsLaw.com

Also, please note that you are in your rights to ask for a meeting outside of IEP times to get more clarification of the goals and methodology with teaching your child.  Please also ask for a copy of the PARENT'S RIGHTS HANDBOOK and other documentations that outlines the regulations regarding Special Education in your locale.

Louise Sattler, School Psychologist

0
0
smallmeans
smallmeans writes:
We need to change the education system.  I am a college student, (31) and for a large number of my classes I am sitting in front of a computer.  If you look around the room you will find many on Facebook or other non scholarly sites.  If you look at the education plan over the years they've increased spending drastically but are not seeing improvements in performance.  It is obvious it needs to change and not by cancelling art in music programs or neglecting to teach cursive because you feel it's more important to teach an 8 year old typing skills?  This is all happening.  Look up Sir Ken Robinson and try to get involved in your school community.  I too am hoping to revolutionize learning :)!

0
0
ECSEProcessCoordinator
ECSEProcess... writes:
I'm interested to know what eligibility criteria your child qualified under, Learning Disabled?  Intellectually Disabled?  Autism?  There are MANY. Your child has the right to FAPE and he has the right access the regular curriculum and/or a modified curriculum. Have you reviewed/looked closely at the IEP goals? Do they align with the regular ed curriculum? Are you receiving progress notes (quarterly) with reported progress on each goal? If marked/documented progress is not being made in two quarters, it is conclusive that the IEP is not meeting his needs and you can request another IEP meeting at any time to review/revise the IEP/goals/objectives/minutes/placement.  

Side note: I would never give a parent a DRAFT IEP. I may send home a copy of the Present Level of Academic Achievement and Fx'l Performance home in a WORD DOC prior to the meeting for the parent to review, and I may send home proposed goals prior to the meeting. But it is not a good idea to have a bunch of drafts floating around. Our state plan - standards and indicators tell us that parents must receive a copy of the IEP within 20 days of the IEP meeting, we strive for 10.

0
0
LuisaVillongco
LuisaVillon... writes:
First, make sure your child is in the right placement for the disability he has been diagnosed with. Then have a conference with teacher to go over the IEP goals and how they will be achieved both in school and at home. Be collaborative and work with the teacher. You will be surprised what gains there might be when you offer help and cooperation. Every child can learn or else he would not have goals or an IEP and you have the right to know and agree to everything that is written in the IEP.

0
0