Joelb
Joelb asks:
Q:

Question about mercury in breast milk . . .

Your web site states that "An infant who is exclusively breast-fed will ingest more than twice the quantity of mercury that was ever contained in vaccines and fifteen times the quantity of mercury contained in the influenza vaccine."  Regarding mercury in breast-milk, we are talking about trace amounts of mercury calculated (accumulated) over about a one-year period of time, correct?  If I follow the logic here, wouldn't this be like saying that it's ok to give my child a large dose of arsenic now, since he will actually ingest more arsenic over a year's period of time in small daily servings of flax seed?  Obviously this is ridiculous, but I'm trying to understand the logic behind the mercury in breast-milk comments on this web site.  What am I missing?  This is a sincere question as I just had a new baby and I am trying to become informed on the vaccine issue.
Member Added on Dec 4, 2009
I found the answer by Dr. Yankus to this question helpful.  Thank you!  However, if mercury was never a risk as you state and thimerasol is an effective preservative, then why is it no longer being used in vaccines?  Also, is aluminum used and are there risks associated with this?  One last question, is it possible to get vaccines such as dyptheria without the "PT" included?  Are these available in separate doses?  Thanks so much for your help.
In Topics: Physical Health, Nutrition

|

Dear Joelb:

There is no mercury any more in US vaccines except for the adult influenza vaccine and the injectable H1N1 in 10 dose vials. The single doses do not contain mercury; therefore, your baby is at no risk. Remember, mercury has never been a risk in vaccinations. This myth was largely conjured up by unscientific sections of a population who are anti-vaccine.

That said, we are all exposed to mercury on a daily basis from containers, bottles etc... The science of it is as you stated--trace amounts over a period of time.

4
0

Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:
There are four combination vaccines used to prevent diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis: DTaP, Tdap, DT, and Td. Two of these (DTaP and DT) are given to children younger than 7 years of age, and two (Tdap and Td) are given to older children and adults.  Read more at:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/diphtheria/default.htm

2
0