knat
knat asks:
Q:

How do I make sure that teachers who also coach stay in the classroom during school hours?

I am so frustrated. How do I start a drive to keep teachers that also coach in the classroom during school hours. Both Biology and Math our teacher/coaches leave the class to go and coach. Struggling freshman are just ignored.

|

Knat,

I don't blame your frustration.  Teacher should be in  class when they are scheduled to teach.  Coaching responsibilities should be taken care of after regular school hours or on their breaks. Biology and math are core subjects and part of the STEM initiative (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics).  Basically this initiative came about in order to keep the US as the economic and technological leaders of the global marketplace in the 21st Century.  The reason I use this term is that it is a national one and should be used when discussing this problem with anyone who will listen.

First of all I would bring it to the administrations attention.  Explain the situation and ask them how they plan to handle the problem.  Be sure to follow through with that they proposed.  

If things don't improve, go to your school board member(s).  He/she can move things along.  After all, the board members main purpose is to do what is in the best interest of the students.

Document everything.  When the teacher left the room (date and time), when they returned (if they did or didn't).  Describe what the students were doing at the time of the teachers absence.  Name who was in charge with the teacher left the room.

Get others involved - parents and students.  As with many situations, numbers speak.  

No matter whether you go to private, public or charter school, teachers should be in the classroom while classes are in session.

Barb K

0
0