CrystalEric
CrystalEric asks:
Q:

What questions should I ask at My 6 year old son 504 plan meeting for adhd odd

My son is in kindergarten the school states he has a behavioural problem and dose not listen I feel he's being attached I do not feel the school listens to me but most importantly to my son. Now were going to have a meeting a 504 plan to help him I'm not sure what I should ask I've never been to a 504 plan meeting. Before! HELP!!!!!

sincerely a mother who loves her children!
In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school, Learning disabilities, Special needs

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I can hear in your note that you are very worried about this meeting and what it may entail for your son.  Please note that these procedures INCLUDE parent input, so please feel free to ask questions and express concerns during the meeting.  Also, if I was in your place I would bring another person with you, such as a spouse, friend or relative. This second person can help be a second listener and take additional notes.

Please consider writing all your concerns and questions before your meeting and then ask the educational team working with your son to address them for you.  Questions may include how is he functioning in comparison to other children his age and grade? What are his strengths and weaknesses within the classroom and outside the classroom? What behaviors are of the most concern? What is the 504 plan and why is is being suggested?

Here are some helpful websites:

www.NaspOnline.com  (press parent tab)
www.WrightsLaw.com (for all the legal information and some answers to your questions)

Louise Sattler
School Psychologist

0
0

CJA829
CJA829 writes:
Hi CrystalEric,
From what little I know, what I understand is that a 504 plan is to help give kids more support - the adults in a child's life, teacher, parent, school staff get together to discuss what can be done to help him learn in school and at home.
If you don't agree with the diagnosis of adhd, odd one thing you might ask is to have your child formally assessed. Perhaps there is another independent professional you can have your son talk to? It is important for accurate diagnosis. But in the end, 504 plans are meant to help and be constructive.
I attached a couple of resources. I hope they help. I admit I haven't gone through this firsthand. Good luck!

1
0
Anonymous