dcm5781
dcm5781 asks:
Q:

Questions about dyscalculia

I've been reading some websites about dyscalculia and I'm starting to have some problems with numbers that  I have noticed over the past 4 years; I'm 28 years old now.  Never had any kind of problems with math before not that I can remember I've always had advance math classes.  Although I've have a lot of learning problems throughout my schooling life.  Tutors inside of school then I come home to be driven to another tutor after school.  But why now all the sudden these problems with numbers come about?  Unfortunately, I use numbers every single day I'm a delivery driver so looking at addresses can be very troublesome at times.
In Topics: Learning styles and differences, Dyscalculia

|

Hello DCM5781,

I agree with a fellow poster in that before you go forth trying to figure out learning strategies for help with numbers, you need to consider talking with a physician.  As an adult, any change in your physical or cognitive/learning abilities should be discussed first with a physician to rule out any physical problems.  If the physician feels that this is not medically a problem then please feel free to find information regarding learning disabilities at the website below.

If you decide to seek medical advice, please bring a relative or friend with you to help you to recall information from the physician or to write notes for you.  

You also may wish to find a different job that does not cause you stress due to the use of numbers.

Good luck!!

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com
0
0

lkauffman writes:
I'm also concerned about your situation, especially given that you haven't previously had difficulties with numbers.

As you have probably read, individuals with dyscalculia typically have difficulties with problems involving math, performing calculations, understanding the sequencing of numbers.

For more on dyscalculia, take a look at the following section of this site: http://www.education.com/topic/dyscalculia-children/

You didn't say exactly what you have been experiencing, but I recommend that you make an appointment with your doctor to share your concerns about numbers. If you are having trouble processing addresses, this may indicate more of a neurological concern that should be investigated immediately. It is important to rule out physical concerns first. If your doctor gives you a clean bill of health, ask for a referral to an educational specialist who can evaluate you for learning difficulties and help devise an intervention to better manage the situation.

Best wishes,
Child Psychologist

1
0
Anonymous