rupierce
rupierce asks:
Q:

A quiet student in a rowdy classroom - will my son regress in this type of classroom environment?

My 5th grade son is a quiet student and definitely a worrier when it comes to his grades.  He and another quiet classmate were placed in a classroom that has a majority of rowdy students who struggle a bit in school.  I have known the school principal for quite a few years and I believe she may have placed my son and his classmate in this classroom in order to "lead by example" - their quiet natures will help the teacher discipline the other students or encourage the students.  My son has developed terrible anxiety about school because of the rowdiness.  I am getting set to help volunteer in the classroom and hope to find some positive areas for my son to focus on.  His teacher is really wonderful but it does sound like she has her hands full.  Will my son regress in this type of classroom environment?  He is worried that he will not be prepared for middle school next year because his teacher has to assist students more often.  Or will he become a better student and more emotionally prepared for middle school by being a leader of sorts?  I don't want him to be miserable his last year of elementary school so any advice that will perk up his spirit would be greatly appreciated!
In Topics: School and Academics, Back to school, Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

Your involvement in the classroom is commendable. Your son sounds like a teacher's dream student- intelligent, capable, a quiet leader and a role model for his peers. Listen to your son's concerns and help him to cope with the rowdiness of the classroom. Speak with the teacher about allowing breaks for your son when he is stressed and needs to go to the library or another place. Continue to encourage him to take a leadership role in the class if that is his inclination. I would also monitor his progress and support his efforts to continue his excellent school work. A rowdy class may be distracting but your son can adjust. Chances are this will make him a better student and better preparedto cope with different learning styles. However, if your son becomes highly stressed and this situation is not in his best interests, talk to the teacher and the principal and explore the options.

1
0

Windy1
Windy1 , Child Professional, Parent writes:
You might find this article helpful.

0
0
Anonymous