salfam
salfam asks:
Q:

Read-aloud chapter books?

I love to read aloud to my son. We're finishing the Little House on the Prairie series and I'd love to hear some recommendations about other chapter books that I can read to him! What are your favorites?
In Topics: Recommended Books

|

I am trilled that you are reading to your son.  It is such a special gift you are giving him and one he will remember later in life.

Jim Trelease wrote a great book called The Read Aloud Handbook.  He also understands the importance of reading aloud to children.  Anyway, he has a wealth of information including book list on his website.  This is a great place to start your search for books.

Also check out Guys Read.  This site is dedicated to encourage boys to read more.  

Happy Reading!

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com
1
0

lindadeano1
lindadeano1 writes:
It really depends on your sons age...

0
0
YoungTigarMom
YoungTigarMom , Parent writes:
I also love reading to my two sons and we have read many different books. We are currently reading "The Wind in the Willows" and my 5yr. has really enjoyed listening, however my 3yr. only lasts about 5-10 minutes so it just depends on the child and their age. Our next adventure in reading are some Grimm Brother fairy tales.

1
0
printymiller
printymiller writes:
A Time for Andrew is great.  It is historical fiction with a flare of fantasy.  If he is too young it may be confusing.  I teacher third grade and most kids can comprehend it.  Gregor the Overlander is also fantasy but has very valuable lessons about good and evil, right and wrong.  The underlying theme is to be selfless in the face of great adversity.  These are more "boy books".  Happy reading!!

1
0
LynnKudlacz
LynnKudlacz , Teacher, Student, Parent writes:
Some of my children's favorite chapter books are:

The Mouse and the Motorcycle
Magic Tree House Series
The Fudge series of books
Geronimo Stilton Series

1
0
Chaprow
Chaprow writes:
We have just finished a bunch of the A to Z Mysteries.  We started with the Little House in the Big Woods when we first started reading chapter books.  After that we read The Boxcar Children books.  We have read The Jungle Book, The Secret Garden, Treasure Island, and Three Children and It.

1
0
Hi!

We LOVE Carole Marsh books.  She visits real places with real kids and creates a mystery surrounding facts.  The books are well written, opens discussion about the place that book visits and stimulates creative thinking while you're trying to solve her mystery.

1
0
CBrimmer
CBrimmer writes:
My daughter loved "Series of Unfortunate Events" and there is quite a bit of word play in the series that could help grow vocabulary. Also Magic Tree House, and Bailey School Kids were fun. We have read the first couple of the Harry Potter series (my daughter is not quite six). We also liked Where the Red Fern Grows, The Giver, My Side of the Mountain, and she got quite a few laughs over "The Importance of Being Ernest" I had to do voices for all the characters of course.

1
0
missgigimeowcat
missgigimeo... , Teacher, Parent writes:
You did not mention the age of your son, but if he is at the primary level, there are several great series available that are excellent read-aloud chapter books! Many students I have encountered love The Magic Treehouse collection, by Mary Pope Osborne, and the younger set especially love the Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park.

For older, intermediate level students, a personal favorite I would recommend is the Ramona and Beezus series by Beverly Cleary, which may have now regained popularity with the recent release of the movie by the same name.

Below is a list of great read-aloud books for all levels.

1
0