sandra_blue
sandra_blue asks:
Q:

i need help reading iam 21 year old

In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|
Hi Sandra, I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with reading, and I think it's great that you're seeking help!

The National Institute for Literacy offers an online directory of literacy resources that is searchable by zip code, city and state. The directory includes adult reading programs and services. Here's the link:

http://literacydirectory.org/

Depending on your current reading level, you might also find some of the free reading activities and worksheets on Education.com to be helpful in practicing your reading skills. Here are the links to those sections of the site:

http://www.education.com/activity/reading/
http://www.education.com/worksheets/all-grades/reading/

I wish you well as you improve your reading ability, and thank you very much for posting this question in JustAsk.

0
0
BruceDeitrickPrice
BruceDeitri... , Teacher writes:
First thing, if you can't read, there's two options: there's an underlying problem that a doctor or testing service can probably detect with tests; or your schools did a terrible job of teaching you. I'm betting on the second one.

Many schools use Whole Word and don't teach much reading. Were you made to memorize sight words??? If so, the best solution is to start over, learn to read phonetically, that is, to see that the letters represent sounds.  

All the experts I trust say that virtually all children learn to read if taught properly. If you don't have any deficits in other areas, and it's just reading that is the problem, then I'd say you suffer from "teacheritis." You can recover from this!

You could Google my article called "33: How To Help A Non-Reader to Read." Get a friend who can read to guide you through it.

0
0
tee26
tee26 writes:
hey Sandra my name is Antonio im 26 years old and i still have a hard time whit reading and for me it was the school that didn't do alot of thing on reading they just pass people on when the reading is bad. I can read a little bit but not a lot of big words, I think my reading lev. my be 4 are 5 gra. and to me thats bad. I have never asked my mom y i didn't get the help at home whit my reading cuz that would have helped me. When im on the net and i want to no a word i will go to goggle and try to get the word from the some times it take a long to to get the word right. I can do a lot of thing that other people can do, Im married and i have a little girl she is 4 and i fill bad when she ask me dad can you read this book to me and i say baby let your mom read it for you when she get home. I just told my wife that im not a good reader but she don't no how bad it is cuz she still say read this and tell me what you think and when i go to the Dr. they have paper work for you to fill out. i wanted to go to college but could not read good, I wanted to be a cope but can not read good so i fill bad for your 21 year old cuz i no what they are going through. Im here now in portagul whit my wife she is airforce, so sandra and to the child keep your head up and you can still do what you want in life just work hard at it. I have a lot more to say but i think this is lot

0
0