aguins
aguins asks:
Q:

Any Reading Recovery teachers out there?

I have been teaching Reading Recovery in Mansfield, OH and would like to hear from other Reading Recovery teachers in the U.S or Canada.
In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|
bob , Parent writes:
There were Reading Recovery teachers at my kids' elementary school (Santa Clara County, CA) and my younger daughter benefited from the program, but now there are none.  I don't know if this is a state-wide change or just local, but I'll find out.

0
0
flowermom5
flowermom5 writes:
I used to be a Reading Recovery teacher in Florida, but three years after the program began, our district elected a new superintendent, and Reading Recovery was abruptly halted. What a waste of money and training. The children who learned to read were apparently not worth the cost. It was a wonderful program, although it was expensive. Were the children worth? The parents of those children were not invited to give opinions on this decision. Nor were the first grade teachers who taught those children. It was a great experience, and I am glad I received the training.

That same superintendent is now a senator (ran unopposed). He is currently trying to have Florida's class size law (voters chose this one) put back on the ballot hoping voters will change their minds and allow more children to be crammed into classrooms.

Our children are lucky to have him on their side! (Did I digress?)

3
1
MrsReading
MrsReading , Child Professional, Teacher, Parent writes:
I am a Reading Recovery teacher. I trained in Maine and was in one of the first training classes in the US. The person I trained under had trained under Marie Clay!

Reading Recovery is by far the BEST program for struggling readers! As for the respondent above, I, too, worked in Florida and was very saddened that they did not see the value in continuing with the program. It is also dismaying that universities are not counting this for credit as a "clinical" internship.

I am currently in Maine and using Reading Recovery techniques in an online tutoring setting in conjunction with Cookupbooks. I would love to hear from RR teachers as well! Feel free to contact me and check out Cook Up Books (has over 100 leveled free downloadable books) at Cookupbooks.com.

0
0
Lyddie13
Lyddie13 writes:
I am a college student, parent, and future teacher.  Ever since learning about Reading Recovery, the idea "I want to do that" has been burned in my brain.  Imagine, being able to utilize a method with such an incredibly high success rate with the students who struggle most with reading.  I live in Duval county, FL, and don't believe there are many (or possibly any) Reading Recovery teachers being employed to use this method in schools here at present.  Budget cuts have caused schools to look at more generic, "cost effective" programs.  But the success rates are just not there with any of the other programs.  And it is not cost effective in the long run to let individuals grow up illiterate.  I hope to one day receive training, and to see Reading Recovery implemented nationwide.  Why wouldn't we use something that we know works?  I hope I get the opportunity to be a Reading Recovery teacher some day.

0
0
lgsacks
lgsacks writes:
I teach Reading Recovery in New York City. What do you want to hear about?

0
0
diburns2
diburns2 writes:
I am a Reading Recovery teacher in Australia and would like to join this discussion. It is the best professional learning I have ever undertaken and hope to continue in the role.

0
0