adde
adde asks:
Q:

I need help with reading...

In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|
chemteacher
chemteacher writes:
Reading, like playing a sport or a musical instrument, takes practice. It doesn't matter what you start with, just read something every day. As you get stronger, try harder books. Just make sure you chose material that interests you. I have a friend who reads cookbooks: she loves to cook, so she reads them like I would read a regular book. My son didn't like to read, so we found books and magazines that interested him. If you are having trouble, you can always check with your local library: they often have programs that encourage and support reading literacy. These programs are free, so don't be afraid to ask.

2
1
jeanetteH
jeanetteH , Student writes:
you need to get help by a teacher or other parents

2
1
Hi adde,

I linked a couple of fun sites that will help you with reading.  Book Adventure is a FREE site that has over 7000 book titles that you can read and then take a short test online to earn points.  You can then exchange your points for FREE prizes.  It will help you with comprehension and is much like the AR tests that you take at school.

Book It is a program from Pizza Hut, it has fun activities that you can do and also, if you can get a parent or teacher to enroll in their program, they give a FREE personal pan pizza to you each month that you reach your reading goal.

Reading can be fun!

When you see a word that you are not familiar with, try sounding the word out and look for clues from text.  Use a dictionary to learn how to pronounce the word, identify it's usage such as noun, verb, etc.  and it's meaning.

Challenge yourself daily, read a minimum of 20 minutes.  You can also use the dictionary to randomly select a new word to increase your vocabulary skills.  Use a Thesaurus to see what other words mean the same thing or completely the opposite.

Board games such as Mad Libs, Scramble, Scramble Upwards, Boggle can be fun too and will support your reading abilities.

If possible, get a reading partner.  Practice by reading aloud to each other taking turns.

Visit your local library for other fun ways to get excited about reading.

I hope this helps and that you have fun!!!

1
0