Lynn7
Lynn7 asks:
Q:

Is recess required in Ohio for elementary students?

My son has ADHD. He has some other type of learning disability not yet identified. (working on it) He doesn't remember to write things down in his assignment book, leaves his homework at school, or does his homework and somehow it never gets back to the teacher. This years teacher says he is not ADHD (I have 2 doctors saying he is) the teacher says he is just irresponsible. It is her policy that if the above things mentioned are not done that the kids lose their recess for the day. He is missing recess alot and does not want to go to school. He is not running off his energy or stressing down without his recess any suggestions?
In Topics: Learning disabilities, Special needs, ADHD & attention issues

|

Time for a meeting of the minds both educational and medical.  Call a child study team and request a neurologic or developmental evaluation.  Your teacher is not trained to diagnose illness or conditions; however, teachers are good judges of student behavior.  Punishing an ADD boy only adds to the isolation in education.  Get a 504 designation, get help, and ask your pediatrician to advocate with you for a better solution.

Good luck, Lyn

1
0

Hi, Adding to the excellent insights Dr. Yankus shared, here are some informational resources you may also find helpful to your situation...

Learning Disabilities & RTI special edition (produced in partnership with the National Center for Learning Disabilities):
http://www.education.com/special-edition/learning-disabilities-rti/

Building Positive Relationships with Educators info center:
http://www.education.com/topic/parent-teacher-relationship/

ADHD info center:
http://www.education.com/topic/adhd-child/

0
0
momg
momg writes:
Did you ever get any answers?  My sons school is doing the same thing.  They are punishing the children by taking away their recess!  I am very upset by this.  They need that time to getr rid of that excess energy, like you said.  I'm trying to find out any state mandates on recess time, etc.  I was just informed today that his entire third grade class will loose 15 mins of recess for the rest of the year because they weren't quiet enough today while lining up to go inside.  They were still OUTSIDE!!  I hope we both find our answers.  Good luck. :)

0
1
mobmom
mobmom writes:
I am wondering if you ever got an answer as towheter there is a requirement for recess.  I am having a similar issue , where students are being punished for academic issues by losing their recess.  When it clearly states in the discipline plan that loss of recess is for behavior.  I am lost as a parent and a teacher as to why teachers take recess away for things like not passing fast facts and reading.  I thought poor grades were the "punishment" for academics.  I am very upset and looking for alternatives.  I have approached the teacher regarding alternative plans as I feel the kids need recess to function.  Theyhave to be still and quiet all day, they need to burn off the energy.   If you have found something on your own please share.

0
0
Anonymous