4nicholas
4nicholas asks:
Q:

Can anyone recommend tools my son's school can use to test his progress?

could someone give me a list that my son's private school (TQS) can use to test his progress(I need actual names).  Believe it or not they only rely on a single reading program and teacher observations to determine progress. I have know way to know were he stands or compares to his grade level. Also since the reading program (Wilson) does not address progress in other ares of his academics we have know way of measuring were stands things like Math,writing,written expression,abstract thinking,sequential processing,  conceptual problems, social studies,simultaneous processing,language(reception & expression), spatial memory on so on. His school( TQS) will only, say children progress at their own rate. I am sure that is true; but how do I know this is his best possible rate. My Child is of average intelligence, he is 12-years old, his kind, loving, clever, he wants nothing more then to learn, I just know the school (TQS)is letting him down. Please help use   Thanks Christine
In Topics: Cognitive development

|

Hi Christine,

You are quite right. Most private schools (if any) conduct comprehensive educational testing. It sounds like you are interested in pursuing an outside educational evaluation. You can most likely get a referral for a local clinic or educational specialist for testing from your school administration.

There are a number of different assessments that are typically included in such an evaluation. One of the most standard educational assessments is the Woodcock Johnson III. The Woodcock Johnson assessment covers reading, mathematics, language, as well as science and social studies. The Wechsler Individual Achievement Test (WIAT) is another commonly administered evaluation. The WIAT assesses a child's reading, numbers operations, as well as oral and written language attainment. Both of these assessments will give a clearer understanding of your child's ability in these areas relative to children his same age.

Also, if you are interested in other abilities, some evaluators will administer a cognitive assessment (or so-called IQ test) to understand a child's abstract thinking, understanding of conceptual problems, etc. The Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC-IV) is one of the most common assessments in this area.

The following article helps to explain some of these terms:
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Terms_Used/

0
0