JudyM
JudyM asks:
Q:

Why are "Recovery Schools" not a part of our school system?

I live in Cape coral, FL. After countless and frustrating hours, days, months & years of trying to get help for my daughters drug addiction problem, she is finally in her 2nd residential drug program. I am hopeful that this will help, as like millions of other parents who have this problem I will not give up on my child. While I was on my computer this morning doing some more research I came across a website that totally blew me away!!! It's about a Recovery School.The web site is recoveryschools.org/index.html. Imagine my surprise to find that such a place exist!! Headquarters: 1231 Highland Avenue, Ft. Washington, PA 19034 P: 215-628-8600. From what I have experienced, the biggest problem for these kids who are finished with a drug / alcohol program is they go back to the same routine, fall in with same friends. It's only a matter of time before they are using again. Unfortunately, that will be my daughters case, once again. She has to go to school. I am applaud to find out that such a place exists but not in our school system. Recovery School may not be the answer to our schools drug / alcohol problem, but it certainly would be a step in the right direction!! Just think of being able to give parents the opportunity to have continued sobriety for their teen returning from residential treatment.
In Topics: Teen alcohol and substance abuse

|

Thanks for sharing this resource with other parents out there.  It's great that you are educating yourself on options for your daughter.  

One of the big challenges with any type of recovery program for teens is reintegration back into their home life/school life.  You're right that teens often fall victim to relapse because they tend to gravitate toward the same friends and situations that got them into trouble in the first place.  If the teen is committed to their recovery, they need to drastically change their environment when they return home.  Their circle of friends must be totally different and they need to get involved in groups or clubs that will not put them in situations where they will be tempted to use drugs/alcohol.  Doing this often takes lots of will power on their part and much support from friends and family.  

A recovery school sounds like a great idea for many kids.  I would guess that the typical reasons of funding and development are why these types of schools aren't more readily available around the country.  Perhaps you can begin spreading the word!  

Good luck to you and your daughter.

1-800-448-3000

2
0