Anonymous asks:

How do you refer a student with a 504 Plan to Special Education?

How can a student be referred from 504 to special education? What process would be used?
Member Added on Oct 23, 2009
I think the question is more procedural and a district decision. The referral process to special education is very clear; however it is asked whether to go first to the Student Support Team or the Multidisciplinary team when the student already has a 504 plan.
In Topics: Special needs
> 60 days ago



Oct 21, 2009
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk!

Technically a student with a 504 plan is in special education, however, the type of intensity and regulations are not quite the same as a student with an IEP.  In order to see if a child qualifies for more intensive services or different kinds of services the parent should ask in writing for the special education multi-disciplinary team in the child's school to convene.

Remember, parent(s) are an essential person on the multi-disciplinary special education team.  Together all people involved should be able to determine what is the best education.

The National Association of School Psychologists has an excellent resource section on their website to answer specific questions regarding the differences between 504 and IEP plans.  Their website is listed below.

I hope this answers your question.

Louise Masin Sattler, NCSP
Nationally Certified School Psychologist
Owner of Signing Families

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (2)

dgraab , Parent writes:
Hi, I'm not a special needs expert, but there is a special edition on that you may find helpful:

Learning Disabilities and Response to Intervention

And here are two articles within the special edition that may be particularly relevant to your situation:

Section 504 and IDEA Comparison Chart

Before Special Education

Additional resources on on this topic include...

Section 504 Frequently Asked Questions

Parents Guide to Special Education

A Guide to the IEP Process

I hope there is some information in the above resources that answers your question, or that one of the JustAsk community participants with expertise in the area of special education will chime in with more insights for you. Good luck!
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
Becoming an Effective Advocate means knowing what to do, how to do it, and what your rights are.  There is a great book (its published through the California Dept of Education) on everything you need to know regarding Special Education.  You are most likely from a different state - but you can order the book for FREE - then see if the laws match to those in your state.

A link to the book is:
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely