chemteacher
chemteacher asks:
Q:

References to Romeo and Juliet

We are looking for any references in books, TV, or songs, to Romeo and Juliet.

|
joanieday
joanieday writes:
There is a 60's song titled "Just Like Romeo and Juliet."  The play "Westside Story" is based on "Romeo and Juliet."  The new movie "Gnome and Juliet" just opened a few weeks ago.  These are a few examples I can think of without doing any research.  Hope it helps.

2
1
jmamable
jmamable , Caregiver writes:
Hi Chemteacher,

There's TONS of references to Romeo and Juliet, mostly in music and film. As stated above, West Side Story is the most famous example. Pretty much any love story where the two main characters are forced apart by situations they can't control, but struggle against the odds to be with each other, only to end in tragedy can be said to be influenced by it. There's lots of those!
Song-wise, off the top of my head I can think of "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits. I know there's tons more, and now I can't stop thinking about it. I may have to get back to you on this!

If, by any chance, you're doing this as part of a curriculum, you may want to check out the activities I've linked below to further your comprehension.

Jody

2
1

This is a really good question!

I can't begin to think of how many times I've heard references made to Romeo and Juliet.  Even in general conversation people are often calling a romantic man "Romeo".  Songs, movies, shows, countless references-however, I'm blank.  I researched it online and it is very difficult to locate analogies, everything just goes to the original.  

I made a few links below to you tube videos that you may find interesting and although this is very challenging, I'm going to speak to others to see if I can find more references.  I can't think of the name of the song, but I remember there was a country song (male-vocalist) that used the term Romeo and Juliet, it was not the name of the song, it was just one line.  Maybe, someone at education.com can think of it.  It also seems like in "Friends" episodes that several guys were called Romeo along with other sitcoms.

Thanks for this puzzling question, great brain exercise!

1
1
jmamable
jmamable , Caregiver writes:
Taylor Swift's "Romeo and Juliet" (I think that's what it's called). A modern-day retelling.

1
1
BigSis
BigSis writes:
Some items that come to mind are:

Titanic- the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet
"Love Story"- the song by Taylor Swift (the music video is somewhat of a re-enactment of the tale)
Madonna's song "Cherish" she sings, "Romeo and Juliet, they never felt this way, I bet."

I've read that the movie Grease was also influenced by the star-crossed lovers.

1
1
Aly32
Aly32 writes:
Madonna's Cherish
Taylor Swift's Love Story
Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper

1
1
M_O'Neill0910
M_O'Neill0910 writes:
A fantastic new film out now is Romeo and Juliet: A Love Song. This version has Shakespeare's text put to awesome contemporary music. Check it out on www.romeoandjulietalovesong.com

0
0