mom23
mom23 asks:
Q:

Can I request a new teacher for my second grader?

I need advice about my daughter.s 2nd grade teacher...but first let me say my daughter LOVED to learn...especially read.  She tested into Advanced Reading in Kindergarten and with the enthusiam of her Kinder and 1st grade teachers maintained that hunger to learn more.  She was excited about her 2nd grade year...until that first week...
She now doesn't want to read and hates to go to school.  At 2nd grade?  She finally confessed to me this morning that her teacher yells at the class to the point of making her ears hurt...she commented about how the teacher doesn't let the kids go to bathroom, and on the first day upon picking her up she was crying she had to go to restroom so bad.  furthermore there is no communication with the teacher, to me...before, in the first to grades,  i would at least get a "smile face" on the communication calendar in her folder...with this teacher...nothing.  

Am I holding on too much?  I know I have to let go but when should I step in?  Isn't 2nd grade a little early to be dreading the teacher?  I mean do I still have the authority to get her a new teacher?   I want madeline to maintain that excitment to learn but it is fading fast and I want her to get that back before its too late....

i am in tears I just don't know what to do...it just isnt like Madeline to complain like that...

thank you so much for any advice.
andrea

In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|
VICTORINO
VICTORINO writes:
I would suggest meeting with both the principal and the teacher and suggesting that the teacher utilize her authority in a manner that is consistent with school policy. After the meeting you should ask your daughter on a daily basis how things are going at school. You should document anything that you find inappropriate and make sure to include the date that the incidents occurred, then go make a complaint with the school board and request another teacher while the complaint is being investigated.

0
0
sistayolanda
sistayolanda writes:

I think you need to schedule a conference with her teacher right away. If this doesn't work take it to the principal. As a teacher, we do sometimes make mistakes. This can really stunt your child's learning if it isn't taken care of soon.

Good luck and God Bless!

Sistayolanda

0
0
deedee20
deedee20 writes:
First and foremost I need to state something! PLEASE REMEBER: You are your child's advocate!!!!! If you don't stick up for your child-no one else will. Children have a right to be respected as people and they damn sure have a right to a safe/comfortable learning environment. This is their future that is depending on this horrible excuse for a teacher. Reading this, I am appalled and think you should pull your kid out of that school!!!!!!! Absolutely no teacher should be yelling at your kid and not letting them use the bathroom!!!!! that causes uti's for one. Any school that would allow that is no good. Your child spends about a third of their life at school. There is something wrong with that teacher and please do something about this before she hurts someone. Any teacher who abuses children by screaming at them has no place in a school. That teacher is obviously suffering from some horrible personal issues and has no patience for kids and does not like her job. Any teacher should know that is no way to handle children. I would venture to say she has a substance abuse problem. If she is yelling at them then when does she teach? what does she do in the classroom? Does she even teach them? You should be questioning her credentials. I am a mother of two girls. My oldest is in second grade. Yes, when going into second grade they start pulling away because children need to learn independence but if your daughter has changed her attitude that much, something is wrong.
Go into your child's school and tell the principle what is goin on. If they dont do anything go to the superintendant. F that! no one would be treating my kid like that.  The fact that there is not communication is a big problem. I am constantly in contact with my kids teacher even if I dont initiate it. We are always getting updates about tests and homework and whatnot.  The more involved you are in your child's education the better they will do. I read that somewhere. I agree with the poster that said you should go observe. But you should go to the principal first and tell her why you want to. For the ignorant posters that are mentioning how they were treated when they were kids, Ignore that stuff.  There are reasons why certain things have been outlawed in schools like hitting kids-Because they have done studies and have proven this is not an effective way to teach children. It's the same reason why doctors are constantly changing ways of treating patients. Because as time goes on, things change-we learn more and find better ways to do things.

0
0
tdebord-tx
tdebord-tx writes:
To the person high on their horse who is sick and tired of parents and further more seems to not like her job and seems to need to find another one;  as a concerned parent you should have the right to request a different teacher.  And regardless of how many "workshops" you sit through and a piece of paper that may make you qualified to teach, doesn't mean you can!

0
0
straight2it
straight2it writes:
Seasonal teacher u could not be more wrong kinda funny being that u spent so much time in school becoming a teacher! As u spoke about in ur ridiculous answer! First of all yes you do have the (authority) to change your child's teacher I know this because I had a similar problem with a teacher when I was in school but my mother took care of the problem quickly! And as a mother now I refuse to put up with any one mistreating me or my children! If you can't get any where with the princible go to the school bored then to the state bored I would not put up with any one yelling at my child! If these teachers don't like their job's then I suggest they find a new one because they don't need to take it out on our children! And us parents are sick of the school systems thinking we have no rights! And they think they can do whatever they please and that they know what's beat for our children! Don't get me wrong I know not all of the teachers are like that there are a lot ofwonderful teachers out there that do amazing job's! But people like seasonal teacher here need to understand that these children are OUR children! Not theirs! And we know them and understand them better then anyone I don't give a dang if you went to school for 20 year's! Only a parent can understand what I am saying her. But bottom line you always do what you think and feel is right for your child and don't worry about what anyone else thinks! Your a wonderful parent for being involved and concerned!!!

0
0