mom23
mom23 asks:
Q:

Can I request a new teacher for my second grader?

I need advice about my daughter.s 2nd grade teacher...but first let me say my daughter LOVED to learn...especially read.  She tested into Advanced Reading in Kindergarten and with the enthusiam of her Kinder and 1st grade teachers maintained that hunger to learn more.  She was excited about her 2nd grade year...until that first week...
She now doesn't want to read and hates to go to school.  At 2nd grade?  She finally confessed to me this morning that her teacher yells at the class to the point of making her ears hurt...she commented about how the teacher doesn't let the kids go to bathroom, and on the first day upon picking her up she was crying she had to go to restroom so bad.  furthermore there is no communication with the teacher, to me...before, in the first to grades,  i would at least get a "smile face" on the communication calendar in her folder...with this teacher...nothing.  

Am I holding on too much?  I know I have to let go but when should I step in?  Isn't 2nd grade a little early to be dreading the teacher?  I mean do I still have the authority to get her a new teacher?   I want madeline to maintain that excitment to learn but it is fading fast and I want her to get that back before its too late....

i am in tears I just don't know what to do...it just isnt like Madeline to complain like that...

thank you so much for any advice.
andrea

In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|
VICTORINO
VICTORINO writes:
I would suggest meeting with both the principal and the teacher and suggesting that the teacher utilize her authority in a manner that is consistent with school policy. After the meeting you should ask your daughter on a daily basis how things are going at school. You should document anything that you find inappropriate and make sure to include the date that the incidents occurred, then go make a complaint with the school board and request another teacher while the complaint is being investigated.

0
0
sistayolanda
sistayolanda writes:

I think you need to schedule a conference with her teacher right away. If this doesn't work take it to the principal. As a teacher, we do sometimes make mistakes. This can really stunt your child's learning if it isn't taken care of soon.

Good luck and God Bless!

Sistayolanda

1
0
deedee20
deedee20 writes:
First and foremost I need to state something! PLEASE REMEBER: You are your child's advocate!!!!! If you don't stick up for your child-no one else will. Children have a right to be respected as people and they damn sure have a right to a safe/comfortable learning environment. This is their future that is depending on this horrible excuse for a teacher. Reading this, I am appalled and think you should pull your kid out of that school!!!!!!! Absolutely no teacher should be yelling at your kid and not letting them use the bathroom!!!!! that causes uti's for one. Any school that would allow that is no good. Your child spends about a third of their life at school. There is something wrong with that teacher and please do something about this before she hurts someone. Any teacher who abuses children by screaming at them has no place in a school. That teacher is obviously suffering from some horrible personal issues and has no patience for kids and does not like her job. Any teacher should know that is no way to handle children. I would venture to say she has a substance abuse problem. If she is yelling at them then when does she teach? what does she do in the classroom? Does she even teach them? You should be questioning her credentials. I am a mother of two girls. My oldest is in second grade. Yes, when going into second grade they start pulling away because children need to learn independence but if your daughter has changed her attitude that much, something is wrong.
Go into your child's school and tell the principle what is goin on. If they dont do anything go to the superintendant. F that! no one would be treating my kid like that.  The fact that there is not communication is a big problem. I am constantly in contact with my kids teacher even if I dont initiate it. We are always getting updates about tests and homework and whatnot.  The more involved you are in your child's education the better they will do. I read that somewhere. I agree with the poster that said you should go observe. But you should go to the principal first and tell her why you want to. For the ignorant posters that are mentioning how they were treated when they were kids, Ignore that stuff.  There are reasons why certain things have been outlawed in schools like hitting kids-Because they have done studies and have proven this is not an effective way to teach children. It's the same reason why doctors are constantly changing ways of treating patients. Because as time goes on, things change-we learn more and find better ways to do things.

1
0
tdebord-tx
tdebord-tx writes:
To the person high on their horse who is sick and tired of parents and further more seems to not like her job and seems to need to find another one;  as a concerned parent you should have the right to request a different teacher.  And regardless of how many "workshops" you sit through and a piece of paper that may make you qualified to teach, doesn't mean you can!

1
0
straight2it
straight2it writes:
Seasonal teacher u could not be more wrong kinda funny being that u spent so much time in school becoming a teacher! As u spoke about in ur ridiculous answer! First of all yes you do have the (authority) to change your child's teacher I know this because I had a similar problem with a teacher when I was in school but my mother took care of the problem quickly! And as a mother now I refuse to put up with any one mistreating me or my children! If you can't get any where with the princible go to the school bored then to the state bored I would not put up with any one yelling at my child! If these teachers don't like their job's then I suggest they find a new one because they don't need to take it out on our children! And us parents are sick of the school systems thinking we have no rights! And they think they can do whatever they please and that they know what's beat for our children! Don't get me wrong I know not all of the teachers are like that there are a lot ofwonderful teachers out there that do amazing job's! But people like seasonal teacher here need to understand that these children are OUR children! Not theirs! And we know them and understand them better then anyone I don't give a dang if you went to school for 20 year's! Only a parent can understand what I am saying her. But bottom line you always do what you think and feel is right for your child and don't worry about what anyone else thinks! Your a wonderful parent for being involved and concerned!!!

1
0
mspRHOfessional
mspRHOfessi... writes:
This may be months late, but hopefully this helps because I am a second grade teacher myself.

The beginning of the year is the time where I am setting my classroom expectations. I am very strict as well at the beginning of the year and I let parents know from the very start. Most of my students think I am very mean at the beginning, but I have the focus in mind that I want to create a safe environment for learning and that starts with strict rules and expectations. Many students at the beginning of the year have restroom problems because they have not yet gotten into the routine and they eventually will as the year goes on. (With smaller ones, if they see you let one go then they all will feed off it unless there is a valid excuse) The beginning of the year is that time where I am learning my students and they are learning about me. I soon learn their personalities and what discipline styles work with them and what only shuts them down. I’m not a yeller though because that’s not my style.  By the end of the year, I have learned my students and the students who once said I was mean at the beginning then appreciate all that they have learned at the end.  I cared deeply for my students as if they were mine.  Second grade is leading into that transition to being more independent due to high stakes testing in the third grade so many of them struggle with that transition. It becomes my job to then nurture and push at the same time.
The principal will usually only moves a child in respect to balancing numbers or major issues that have been documented and not because a child doesn’t like the teacher.
Please understand that parent communication is very important. I still send home calendars letting parents know what their child’s behavior was. Parents not only need this, but students need this as well. They are not too old for a smiley face or you need to work on too much talking etc. This creates a system of motivation.
You are the parent! Don’t stress out, but communicate with the teacher. Let her know a little bit about your child and I’m pretty sure she will appreciate the feedback in a positive manner.  Don’t stress out, but also it is still your job to stay involved in your child’s education. Keep a close watch.

0
0
DUBLUMOM
DUBLUMOM writes:
My 3rd grade son's math/science teacher has him in a twist!  He comes home daily complaining that she yelled at him for not paying attention or not following along during class.  Yet he's doing great in her class.  He isn't behind, he isn't failing.  Actually, his weekly graded papers are coming home as 100s!  He is horrified to ask questions because when the students do that, they get a demerit for "not paying attention" or "not following along." I don't know if the logic is to scare them into paying attention or what?  But, all she's doing is scaring them into not wanting to go to school.  My older son had her in 3rd grade and was horrified of her.  But, he didn't have the daily complaints.  She is from a different country and has a pretty significant accent, I find her hard to understand myself and I can see why the students ask questions to clarify what she had said. I would think she'd welcome questions, not shun them with the threat of disciplinary action (demerits, lost recess, running laps during recess!).  My son is a typical 8 year old - I'm sure there are times when he does lose focus or isn't paying attention.  I've requested a sit down with her next week to discuss my concerns and hopefully work towards a more pleasant school environment.  She hasn't replied to my request.  I don't want to go over her head to the principal without having had a face to face with her first.  His ELA/Social Studies teacher says he is doing great, stays on task.  Personality conflict maybe?  Very frustrating.

1
0
ninamolina
ninamolina writes:
I'm going through this at this very moment. My daughter started second grade last week and was punished 4 days one for bitting her pencil and three for failing to turn in a goal sheet I thought would be due on Friday not the next day. The teacher gave zero institutions but placed her on yellow for it three days in a row. My daughter is having anxiety now about going to class because she thinks she's going to get in trouble all day. I'm giving it two weeks then I will request a new teacher. We spoke but she was stubborn about her rules. I'm not standing by and watching a happy kidgo through this. I've had to change teachers with my 19 yr old in the past and it helped she graduated in white. Be their advocate and voice when they cannot. Teachers are under the gun now so the pressure versus the care and love of their job and our children is changing but there are good ones who can do both. No offense but the older teachers seem burned out.

0
0
maestramom
maestramom writes:
Seasoned teacher, you are far too angry to be teaching.  Hopefully, you have retired.  I, too, am a teacher so I can understand some of your frustration, but, parents also have a right to fair treatment of their children.  In my teaching career, I have made the wrong choices many times and know that I could have handled many situations better.  I know there are times when teachers have had a bad day, are tired and simply having trouble controlling the class. Just as parents and children frequently make mistakes, teachers make mistakes despite our education.
There is more going on here that just an occasional inappropriate decision. In this case, I believe the parent and the child have good cause for concern, particularly with the yelling. As others have suggested, talk to the teacher first and if that doesn't work, speak to the principal.  You may not be able to switch her or the rest of the class will want to be in another section too. The principal may be able to work with the teacher to develop better disciplinary measures that do not hurt the children. For example, each day before recess he or she can say, "Remember, recess time is bathroom time."  
My child came home feeling that her teacher didn't like her and didn't want to go to school.  She admitted that she had been talking too much but didn't like the way the teacher treated her.  I know this teacher and I think she was simply tired of the way other students had behaved and took it out on my girl.  She is a great teacher, who may have made a mistake, but my daughter may also be too sensitive and may need to also correct her behavior. Good luck.

1
0
smithn32
smithn32 writes:
Andrea-  

I am going through the same exact thing with my daughter.  My daughter was not allowed to use the restroom.  And she couldn't hold it in any longer.  She had an accident in class.  Then her teacher told me that the amount my daughter went, was the amount of a dog!  UNCALLED FOR!!!  Her teacher also told me that the kids that ask to use the restroom when it's not time, have to walk/run 2 laps around the basketball court outside.  Our children are being punished b/c they have to use the restroom when it's not time, not right.  She will not discuss issues she has for my daughter with me, but instead goes to other educators to address to situation with me.  I too, want to ask to have my daughter change classrooms.  I may end up taking her out of that school and putting her in a different school.  

I am sorry you are going through this.  Best of luck!!

0
0
MLatini
MLatini writes:
First and fore most follow your gut on this.  You know your child.  Abuse does exist within the school system.  Just because someone received a bachelors degree in education does not guarantee that they have their heart in the right place.  If she becomes disenchanted at this stage of the game it could destroy her enthusiasm for learning.  

For example look at the sadistic controlling narcissism present in the personality of "Seasoned Teacher" in the replies.  Educated??? This is a dangerous personality.  I feel sorry for her students.
11 hours ago

0
0