juliek3
juliek3 asks:
Q:

Requesting my child NOT get a specific teacher, is it justified?

My daughter is about to enter 5th grade. There are currently three 5th grade teachers at her school. We have asked not for a specific teacher, but that she NOT get one particular teacher due to a possible conflict of interest. I am wondering if I am about to have a fight on my hands.

Here is the background. The teacher we are asking her not be placed with recently got divorced from a woman who was my daughter's 3rd grade teacher (at another school). She is still extremely close with this teacher, and her ex-husband is aware of that relationship. The reason for the divorce is because he had an affair with the married mother of one of his students this past year. I have also been told that during that year he was picking on a child who's mother was also a friend of his ex-wife. I cannot believe that he has not been fired or transferred, but as of now he is still there. I am worried that being in a classroom with him will be difficult for my daughter and not be a good learning environment for her. Of course I am also concerned that her being friendly with his ex-wife will give him cause to single her out in a negative way. Do you think I have just cause to make the request for her not to be placed in his class? Thanks!
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

Your concerns are certainty justifiable given the circumstances. Make an appointment with the principal about your daughter's placement in the class. You don't need to give the details, just say there is a problem and you feel that placing your child in the class is not in her best interests.

0
0

ronald
ronald writes:
Juliek3,

This is always a difficult issue when parents try to select teachers. Nevertheless, it is better to point out who you do not want vs. trying to select a specific teacher. Given the lateness, I recommend you see the principal ASAP. Student assignments have likely already been made but the school is likely to not want to discuss with you. I recommend that you present your concern to the principal. Schools respond better when this type of  request is  made in early May.

Ron

0
0
Bluebell2010
Bluebell2010 writes:
Yes I think it is justified. I have the same feelings about my youngest getting one of the teachers my oldest had. She was very rude and not helpful at get my child the help he need. She rude to me when i tried find out what was going with his missing work. She told me my child should be ask her not me. There was this one assignment I told her was done and turned in because made sure it was. She told not it was not and would not listen.  And come conference there it was done and graded I his work file. So I know the feel and think you are right.

0
0