hohumm1
hohumm1 asks:
Q:

I am doing a research project for school on bullying in schools, are there any sources about teacher's bullying students, which would be recommended?

I am a BSN candidate in my final semester, and am looking at bullying in schools, but from the teacher standpoint. There seems to be an onslaught of students, first thing in the morning, who come to the office with complaints of headaches, stomach aches and wanting to go home. This generally puts a flag up for me, as to why this is occurring, so I decided to look at this a little more closely. Any references would be welcomed. Thank you.
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Bullying and teasing

|

After doing some online research on the topic of teacher bullying, it appears that one of the subject’s main experts is Stuart Twemlow, MD, a psychiatrist who directs the Peaceful Schools and Communities Project at the Menninger Clinic in Houston.  His study which is published in The International Journal of Social Psychiatry, shows that the problem may be more common than people believe.  He defines teacher bullying as "using power to punish, manipulate, or disparage a student beyond what would be a reasonable disciplinary procedure."

Below are links to websites you may find useful in gathering information for your research project:

www.webmd.com/parenting/features/teachers-who-bully

www.backoffbully.com/PDF%20files/BulliedStudentsWithBehavProbs.pdf

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/162/12/2387

www.localschooldirectory.com/k-12-articles/52

Best wishes to you as you finish your research paper!  Please contact us via e-mail or by phone at our 24 hour Hotline if you have any parenting concerns or questions.

1-800-448-3000

0
0

firemom
firemom , Parent writes:
Well this is why I pulled my son out of Public School he was being bullied The teachers we're great there are so many students and the children come from so many types of backgrounds it is really hard to cater to just one child who doesn't think it's right to be violent. We found books at the library suggesting what to do have you thought to do an informational interview with some of the teachers to get their thoughts and ideas? I do not think the teachers like to lose one child we cater to the general population it seems even if it's different than we think it needs to be hope my opinion helped interviews the teachers would love to give you their thoughts i trust

0
0

Education.com offers a special edition on bullying you may also want to peruse: http://www.education.com/topic/school-bullying-teasing/

It includes expert/research information for parents, teachers and school administrators.

I hope all goes well with your project and that you're able to quickly make a positive difference for the school community you mentioned in your question.

0
0