maryannj
maryannj asks:
Q:

I need research on staggered start for Kindergarten (where part of the students come one day and the rest the second with all of them on the 3rd day.

The Kindergarten teachers at my school feel the transition from preschool to kindergarten needs improving at our school. We are trying to implement a staggered start for the kindergarten students for next year (where some begin on the first day, the rest on the second, and all on the third) to help with the transition into kindergarten, so they would understand the rules better because of the smaller group when introducing the guidelines/behaviors expected. Our Superintendent wants us to get research to show it is beneficial. Do you know of any studies that have been done on this or can you guide us in the direction to find out about this?

Thanks for any help you can give,
Mary Ann Jarman
In Topics: School and Academics, Kindergarten readiness

|

mjwbwd
mjwbwd writes:
I am not aware of any to help you with this question....but I do know that Schools in New Zealand promote by their birthday. So they have kids entering and exiting throughout the school year. You may find some research based practices from their model. I teach Pre-K/kindergarten multiaged classroom and have my pre-k students again for their kindergarten year. I think 2 first days would cause me hives.... I get nervous still after 26 years. I would not want to do that 2 days and then you would actually be doing it over again when they are all together. Good luck to you and I hope you post how it goes if this is what you stagger your days!

0
0