Mechelle asks:

What resources are available to a student with a IEP after they graduate high school?

My son will be graduating from high school. I would like to know what resources are available to him as a young adult. I have called his counselor at school several times this year and get no call back. He dose not want to attend collage or trade school, which is what I would love him to do to be a successful adult. He has been struggling thru his whole time attending school. I feel that the school is not doing enough to help him like he is just being passed so they don't have to deal with him because he is not the so called run of the mill student . I try to motivate him but just can't . He has no problem with his attendance just struggles to learn. I am afraid this is what is holding him back. I stay positive with him and tell can not do is no option always try . I just feel the school is failing him on their end of the spectrum.
In Topics: Special needs
> 60 days ago



Jun 12, 2009
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

I'm sorry to hear that your son remains disenchanted with school. It sounds like he could benefit from additional support in order to improve his situation. Depending upon the nature of his disability, he may be eligible for continued services through your local county program. For instance, if he has a development disability (e.g., Autism), he could receive services until he is 21. However, if your son does not have a disability covered by the local county program, then the services available to him are limited. Typically, teens will receive continued care through community college and university disability services. I understand that your son is not eager to continue his education, but the benefits of a college degree are significant (see below).

I think that you should get in touch with your local Parent Center to determine what kind of resources may be available to you given your specific case -

Good luck.

L. Compian, Ph.D.
Child Psychologist
Did you find this answer useful?
Jun 22, 2009

Best Answer!

what's this?
from a fellow member
May I recommend that you receive a copy of his records prior to his graduation in case your son changes his mind about college.  There are many, many colleges ( two and four year) and trade programs that will adhere to the IEP adaptations.  For example, if your son decides to study computer gaming at the local community college ( an up and coming field, by the way)- then he can take his current IEP and bring it with him to the office of disability services on campus.  They would then document his needs for the classroom and alert his teachers, if he gives permission. Just note, however, once he becomes 18 HE must be the one who signs forms, etc and not the parent.  You do not have rights to his educational records unless he is mentally handicapped and you are deemed legal educational guardian, etc.

Also, see if there is the possibility for him to visit various people at different job sites.  Perhaps that will inspire him.  Not all programs are book learning and many are hands on.  He may find that he would enjoy work in a trade, but, wouldn't know this if he didn't have an opportunity to shadow someone for a while.  A visit to a career counselor may be worthwhile.  I do not know if they are free or cost, so check your area, as this can vary.

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely