Kellen06
Kellen06 asks:
Q:

Retaining a child

My son is six and in grade one.

Unfortunatly he has been falling asleep in class for anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour every day since the beginning of school.  We are currently are working with doctors to find out what the issue is as he gets 11-12 hours of sleep every night.

My issue is that he is now very behind his peers because of this and I cannot see how he can go on the grade two if he is so far behind.

He is also young socially compared to the other kids.

Is it harmful to retain him even though he has missed so much school?

Please advise.
In Topics: National education standards and No Child Left Behind

|
lkauffman writes:
Dear Kellen06,

I am relieved to hear that your son's doctors are evaluating him for a health condition. As you have most likely heard, it is unusual for a child his age to fall asleep in class after such solid sleep the evening before. I am crossing my fingers that his condition is not serious and can be easily ameliorated.

As for grade retention and promotion, there are a number of issues to consider as you evaluate your options. First, you should learn all that you can about the research examining the short- and long-term effects of grade retention. The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) has published a position statement (which means that prominent members of the NASP got together, reviewed the evidence, and determined their official "position" on the issue) on grade retention. Overall, the research indicates that students who are held back/retained have worse outcomes academically and emotionally than their peers who were also candidates for retention, but who were promoted. See links below.

You should speak with your son's teacher to discuss his or her perceptions and recommendations for next steps. Given that they spend so much time with him and understand his abilities academically, they can help to devise a plan to catch him up. You should ask whether they have any social skills groups at the school. Many schools offer these kinds of groups to help children learn to read social cues, initiate play with other children, etc. In addition, you can help your son by scheduling after school playdates with children he would like to know better. Choose a structured play activity, such as block or lego building with a theme. "Let's build a castle today! Who would like to work on which part?"

Counseling Psychologist
Education.com Expert Panel

2
0
Mama_McD
Mama_McD writes:
I'm a parent, and this is just my opinion.  I think it depends on how behind in learning your child is, and if he is struggling to keep up with the new material being presented.  My oldest daughter was struggling in the lower grades, but the teachers didn't feel she should be retained.  She is now in 4th grade and she has struggled EVERY STEP of the way.  School is so hard for her, her grades are bad, her self-esteem is low.  Personally, I feel that if she had been retained in 1st or Second grade it would have given her a year to "catch up and catch on" to the concepts.  I feel it would have been better for her in the long run, and wish I had pushed for her retainment when I had the chance (in the lower grades) now that she is in 4th grade it would be more "embarrassing" for her to be held back and hurt her in other ways - whereas I feel that if a child must repeat a grade, it would be better to do it in 1st grade.  Just sharing my thoughts.  Really it will be a desicion made by both you and his teacher, based on his grades, participation, his emotional maturity and age, etc.  Good Luck!!

I hope that the dr. can find out why he is falling asleep in class and that it is nothing serious!  Do you think maybe he is bored?  If he is not understanding what is going on in class, he could be bored.  OR, he could be bored because he understands the concepts but sees no need to do the work.

1
0
brightstar
brightstar writes:
I don't think so, if the parent feels it is in the best interest of their child, then i think you should.  I know the schools always say, it is the gift of time, doesn't hurt to review.  I say, retention is fine and it is the gift of time and i also strongly feel it doesn't matter if you are retained, the most important thing is that the child learns and knows the grade level academics.

0
0
KJAMES318
KJAMES318 writes:
At one time in my past I was the child falling asleep everyday while sitting at the desk. My parents were just as worried as you about my behavior. They had me undergo a series of test and evaluations, just to find out I was a perfectly normal and healthy child. I have never been retained, and stopped falling asleep in class after the second grade. I am now in the military and attending college. I still advise you to seek a professional opinion. Although I believe that he will be fine.

0
0