Anonymous
Q:

Retaining my kindergartener.

My kindergarten teacher of my 5 year old told me that they may retain her in kindergarten because she is immature and way behind the rest of class.  She has problem with sight list and consonant blends.  She was 5 weeks premature and very petite, almost 6 years old and weighs 29 pounds and is shy.  Is there something I can do as an absentee parent (her mother kicked me out of the home and she misses her daddy a lot)?
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, Cognitive development

|

In addition to information regarding retention here on Education.com please feel free to read this article for parents:

http://www.nasponline.org/resources/handouts/revisedPDFs/graderetention.pdf

Also, you may wish to ask for a psycho-educational evaluation to see if she has other challenges which are hindering her progress, which are not atypical for some premature children.

Best wishes-

Louise Sattler
School Psychologist

0
0
Anonymous