CBrimmer
CBrimmer asks:
Q:

Getting back into the rhythm of school for my 6 year old

My daughter was a very curious and engaged child all through K5, we did lessons at home and read, she also had the ability to play by herself and was fairly outgoing. She just got back from a month long visit with her biological father and is a completely different child! She says that school is for people with nothing better to do and she'll go to play but isn't going to do the work, that reading is for stupid people, and she is afraid of everything from the dark to being left alone for more than two minutes, she even follows me to the bathroom and gets upset when I tell her she can't stand in the bathroom with me while I'm using it. I know her new views on learning is repeating what she's been told because I've heard him and his family tell her things like that before, but I really need her to be able to start first grade at a proper level so she isn't behind on everything both academically and socially. I've tried everything I know to help and am at my wits end! Please Help!!!
In Topics: Back to school, Discipline and behavior challenges, Divorce Issues

|

We hope that your daughter's views will progress and change as she gets into the school year.  Continue to have a positive attitude about school and don't get in arguments about it with her.  Accept her thoughts and tell her that you think school is wonderful and fun.  That you loved to learn and spend time in class.  Your perspective and role modeling of your view of school is powerful, just like her father's and his family.  Take opposite view and embrace it.  Don't criticize or judge the his view, just let her know your opinion.  It also may be the case that when school begins she embraces and enjoys it again like she did last year.  Kids at her age really takeon opinions of the environment they are presently in, so if school is a positive environment and everybody else there is partaking and learning, she will likely follow suit.

Please take care and remember that you can call the Boys Town National Hotline 24 hours a day at the number below, free of charge to discuss any parenting issue.  We are here to help, you are not alone!

Counselor, NZ

Boys Town National Hotline-A Resource for Parents and Teens
www.parenting.org
1-800-448-3000

0
0
Anonymous