SharonCrew
SharonCrew asks:
Q:

What are my rights in getting an IEP meeting together

My child has multiple disabilities and has an IEP in place since she was 3 years old.  She is no longer able to attend school so the teacher comes to the house.  I requested an IEP meeting on November 6th, 2007 and asked it be held before the end of the month as of today I still have no luck in getting an IEP meeting together.  Can anyone help me and let me know what my rights are?  Thank you.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Special needs

|

Allyn Anderson

Consider contacting your state's department of education and request the due process information for special education. You might even be able to check this out on-line. You can also put your request in writing to your school district or call the superintendent's office, or consider calling your local school board representative for your area for assitance.

0
0

Edu-Katherine
Edu-Katherine writes:
Hi Sharon,<br />
<br />
Have you had a chance to talk to the teacher's supervisor or the council in place that manages your home visits?<br />
<br />
Edu-Katherine<br />
Community Team<br />
<br />

0
0
SPEDHighSchoolTeacher
SPEDHighSch... , Student, Teacher, Parent writes:
You should make the request in writing to the Director of Special Education in your district, explaining what happened. Your child should have an annual IEP on or before the annual date of the current IEP that you have. If it has passed that date, please put that in the letter, with the phrase "out of compliance." It could be a computer error, it may be a change of case managers; there are numerous reasons why it has not happened. The important issue is that your child has a right to an IEP at any time to discuss changes. Please call teh Director of Special Education who should be located at the school district's main office and let them know you are sending a letter, and looking for an advocate.

1
0