CrystalSan
CrystalSan asks:
Q:

What are my rights as a parent with regard to grade retention?

My 6 year old is being retained in Kindergarten because they say she is not ready. I feel she should be put in 1st grade. Do I as a parent have the right to have them put her up and if so how? I have been to the Board of Education And to the school Principal and they told me that there is nothing I can do. my daughters teacher gave her a certificate so my daughter thinks she is going to the 1st grade.Please tell me how I can get her put in the 1st grade.My child went from a 80% reading level to a 64% and a math level of 50% to a 44% so they say she did not meet standards.I tried to tell her teacher that she gets bored easy and my child said she gets tired of doing the same thing over and over everyday but they refused to do anything different now they want to retain her I really don't see how that is fair to her.
In Topics: School and Academics, Working with school administrators, State education standards

|
ronald
ronald writes:
CrysstalSan,

It varies by state and district. Some states and districts are setting performance criteria for promotion.  My wife is a teacher. In her school district, it is the parent's final decision. You need to discuss with district administrators - preferably the Superintendent and/or the Assistant Superintendent.  If a child is going to be held back, the Kindergarten and/or First grade are the times to do it. I know several parents of kindergarten students where retaining the child has been very beneficial for the child. On the other hand, the research is mixed on the effectiveness of retaining students. I have a link below.

Ron

1
0
jward27
jward27 writes:
in over a century of studies, grade retention has never been showed to have long term positive effects in any grade. its quite the opposite! it shows that the students are more likely to dropout as well as have future behavioral problems. its a temporary fix to make the schools look good for testing purposes in most cases.

0
0
Anonymous