Q:

Robert asks: Can you tell me more about Type 2 diabetes?

Asked on behalf of an Education.com visitor who emailed:

"I’m interesting in obtaining information on Type 2 diabetes. I have performed some research of my own and found studies that show Type 2 diabetes may respond to mineral supplementation through oral intake of Zinc in the dosage of 25 mg/day. The studies I’ve read indicates that Type 2 diabetics should probably take zinc supplements to control their insulin levels. As I found out through my research, Zinc plays a key role in the regulation of insulin production by pancreatic tissues and glucose utilization by muscles and fat cells.

I’m interesting in supporting normal body functioning with an over-the-counter dietary supplement product for health preventative purposes. Are there any non-pharmaceutical products available that could be beneficial for type 2 diabetes? Do you have any literature you could share?

Also, could you provide the names of any doctors or organizations that are involved with treating this disease?

Thank You, Robert"
In Topics: Physical Health

|

Robert this is a lot of good research.  Type 2 diabetes is a disease largely linked to the obesity epidemic in America.  High glucose levels, "dirty neck syndrome" or acanthosis nigrans are just some of the signs.  It is controlled by weight loss, diet, and medications.  they type of doctors who care for patients with this illness are endocrinologists.  There are no dietary supplements alone that can treat diabetes type 2.  have a conversation with your doctor or go on the web sites for the american academy of endocrinology or the american academy of pediatrics for more evidenced based information.

0
0

FredMBland
FredMBland writes:
Patient who are having type 2 diabetes are at risk for nerve damage and abnormalities. Such abnormalities produce complications over time in many organs and structures in the body. Although these complications tend to be more serious in type 1 diabetes, they still are of concern in type 2 diabetes. Most people with diabetes should aim for fasting blood glucose levels of less than 110 mg/dL and hemoglobin HbA1C of less than 7%. If are having such kind of problem than it is better for you to take proper treatment as soon as possible. I would prefer ayurvedic medicine for diabetes just because it provide better result in its treatment. Get more info.

0
0
Lisa18967
Lisa18967 writes:
After Gretchen Becker was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 1996, she educated herself on every aspect of this chronic condition — by reading medical and scientific books and journals, talking with doctors and listening to her own body. In 2001, she marshaled everything she had learned as a "patient-expert" into the first edition of this book, which she has now completely updated and revised. The First Year®—Type 2 Diabetes uniquely guides you step-by-step through your first year with diabetes, walking you through everything you need to learn and do each day of your first week after diagnosis, each subsequent week of the first month, and each subsequent month of the crucial first year. In clear, concise, accessible language, Becker covers a wide range of practical, medical, and lifestyle issues, beginning with coming to terms with your diagnosis and then moving on to subjects including: Choosing the diet that is best for you The role of exercise Daily blood-glucose testing routines and understanding lab tests Medications and supplements Networking with others Insurance issues Traveling and socializingI am recently diagnosed with Type 2 and this was the 10th book I read on the subject...and the only one that was depressing in tone. The author herself admits in her forward that she has issues with food and it shows - she talks a lot about never eating her favorite things again, which is not the case as long as it's done in moderation. I was handling things well until I read this book, then hit a downward spiral for 3 weeks afterward. The info in this book is presented in other books like Diabetes for Dummies and Everything You Need to Know About Type 2 Diabetes without the bummer!
-I expect that after I get my next diabetes blood test in a couple of weeks, and then see my new doctor in my new city a week or so later, I will have to accept the fact that yes, I am diabetic. I have been climbing the scale toward that status for two years, and my promises to my old doc to change my diet and lose weight and get more exercise have not panned out in significant measure. Whether this means that before May 1st I will be sticking my finger and measuring my blood glucose at home or not, Ms. Becker's book is properly a part of my collection. It's a good effort. My main criticism is that it is more technical/scientific than I wanted at this stage of my acceptance. Several other reviewers found it depressing, and finally, at the end of it, I did too, but that is not the author's fault. Those of us who qualify to read it have a permanent and dangerous condition that never takes an hour off. I admire Gretchen's discipline and record-keeping and extensive reading and networking about diabetes---but Lord, I don't want to have to imitate all of her efforts. I will be consulting her book frequently as this first year of my disease unfolds, and I feel it was worth every penny I spent on Amazon to get it. I wish owning her volume was the "cure" instead of just the road map to minimizing devastation. But a guide to reducing the ravages of this genetic/lifestyle affliction is the best we can hope for at this time. If you are on the edge of a diagnosis, as I am, buy the book and read it slowly. You will be sorry you need to, but glad you did
-

0
0
GladysTalbert
GladysTalbert writes:
You can also control diabetes type2 with a good exercise regularly and a balanced diet.

0
0
GladysTalbert
GladysTalbert writes:
A type2 diabetes is controlled by proper diet and good exercise daily.

0
0