snowfreeze
snowfreeze asks:
Q:

Does anyone have a sample 1st grade entrance exam?

My daughter needs to prep.  She is 5 (born around Christmas) and graduated last may from kindergarten.  The public school refuses her.  They may test her this week.  But she can't just pass, she has to ACE the exam for whatever reason.  They are in Utah and the only other option is private school, but they want almost $600/mo for that.  I might be able to afford that for her second semester only, but for now her mom has her back in Kindergarten again.  She isn't learning anything new and doesn't feel challenged.  I don't want her to lose interest in school so early on.  Does anyone know what kind of things they test for with regard to admittance to public first grade?  The charter schools are completely full.  Thank you in advance!!
In Topics: Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!)

|
Hi snowfreeze - It sounds like this is a really rough situation for you.  I'm sorry an easy option isn't opening itself up for you.  I think you could make some pretty reasonable guesses about what would be on the test (knowing all letters and numbers to 100, reading short sentences with small words, simple addition, etc) but I'm guessing the only way to REALLY know would be to call the school and ask.  It seems like they would be willing to give you a sense of the skills they're testing for.

Good luck and please let us know how the test goes.

Education.com Community Team

0
0
pebbles0_tmb
pebbles0_tmb writes:
I am in the exact same boat with my son.  He has been in a Montessori school for 4 years and now he just started Kindergarten on Aug. 18.  The stuff that they are doing in kindergarten now, he was doing/learning in the 2-3 yr. old room.  Now that he is in kindergarten, I am seeing rushed work; sloppy/poor handwriting due to rushing to get it done, and pages of things that he already knows.  I am also getting notes sent home almost everyday about his behavior.  Well I am also a teacher and when you aren't getting the children's attention they will do other things to entertain themselves.  He already knows his alphabet (in and out of order), their phonetic sounds, he can count to 100, he can write to 50 and sometimes beyond (depending on his mood), know primary and secondary colors, not just basic shapes but some geometric shapes also, he also knows the continents, bodies of water (oceans), beginning addition and subtraction, before he graduated he also was taking spelling test on 3 letter words.  When I asked about getting him tested for the 1st grade I was told that everyone had to go to kindergarten... but what if you know everything they are teaching in kindergarten???  I was also told that the 1st grade test was very very hard, he is going to have to be able to read books and sound the words out himself.  I was just told that he has been tested today and no one knows the results of that yet.  I just hope they don't hold him to staying in kindergarten and he loses more interest and eventually don't want to go to school or just be such a menace they would hate to see him coming.  I have typed in 1st grade readiness test and some sites came up.  Best of luck to you and your little Einstein. :)  Oh yeah the other option that I was given by another teacher friend is, if they don't move him, request 1st grade work for my son or go out and buy 1st and 2nd grade material to work on with him at home.  Which I have already don't.  Again best of luck to you.

0
0
Jetrho
Jetrho writes:
You can try the links below....hope this is not that late for your intended preparation)....good luck.

(everything is prepared for this site...except for math...you need to build your own sample test exam)

http://edhelper.com/testprep_grade1.html

(here's for math)

http://www.freemathtest.com/1stGrade.asp
http://www.mytestbook.com/

0
0
Candielulo
Candielulo writes:
The link provided by mooshies mom was fantastic! thank you so very much.

https://eprcontent.k12.com/placement/placement/placement_langarts_2.html

1
0
kiddocats
kiddocats writes:
I am in Utah also and am working on getting my 5 yr old into 1st grade also.  Did it work out for you?  The principal of the school we are zoned for is belligerent.  First she told me that it was illegal.  Then she told me I had to put my child in kindergarten and they would test her after the first week of school.  After doing my research and a lot of pushing I got them to test her.  They tested her in the main office with kids lining up for buses, kids going to lunch and the secretary talking on the phone about her husbands back trouble.  It was ridiculous.  They said she wasn't ready for first grade because she couldn't focus!  End of rant.  I wanted you to know about another option in case you had an experience like mine.  They don't normally let you change schools but in some parts of Utah now they are introducing a Language Immersion Program.  I got my daughter in the french program in a school whose principal was more understanding.  You just need to call the school district office and see what they have available in you area.  Another reading test schools use is called Dibles.  You have to register but it is free.  They give you a copy of an actual test from the previous year.  It was a great help to us because we home schooled for kindergarten and my daughter didn't know how to take a test.

0
0
JuneFlower
JuneFlower writes:
My daughter is 5 and half (born in the beginning of Jan). She just took the assessment test and was accepted to 1st grade. We are in NY.
She went to K4 in Oregon before we relocate to NY. From her comments after the test, she felt the test was easy. She mastered fairly solidly in the following area:

Math:
1. Count and write 1- 100
2. Count down from 20
3. Addition with sum <20
4. Subtraction with subtrahend < 20
5. Compare numbers <100
6. Read Number in English (1- 10)
7. Answer 10 addition/ subtraction questions in 1 minute with sum<5
8. Know odd even number
9. Count by 2, 5, 10 from 1 to 100

Reading and writing :
1. Read and write CVC words  
2. Read and write CVCe words  
3. Read CVVC words
4. Read sh, ch, th, ng, wh, sp, sk, sch, st, ght, etc
5. Read 100 common sight words
6. Write simple sentences using Capital letter, "?", "." and space
7. Read weekdays, month, season and color words
8. Write first name and last name

Social skill:
1. Seven continents and oceans
2. Tallest mountain and longest river
3. Parents’ phone numbers
4. Home address
5. Family member’s name
6. Her own birthday
7. Common knowledge
8. 2D 3D shapes
9. Primary colors and secondary colors
10. Know the common animal names

She used about 45 mins to finish a one-hour test. She had some math and IQ tests. She was also asked to read aloud a book.

Hope this post helps other kids for early enrollment preparation.

1
0
anukushi
anukushi writes:
Normally Public school will ask you to pass Mensa Test(school psychiatrist will conduct it).
You will get help from www.testingmom.com, where they have some 100 practice q'ns.  My daughter skipped her K4 to 1 grade this year,  we had the same kind of situation.  Hope it will help you.

0
0
Show me another question in this topic