Karenmom asks:
Q:

Are you satisfied with your child's public education?

I've been reading a lot of comparisons of home school, private school and public school and am just curious how other parents feel about the public education that their child receives.  

|

Public education has received much scutinity for poor performance. Top quality teachers are difficult to recruit and keep when the pay structures are so inequitable. Most prospective teachers can find higher paying jobs straight out of college.

Funding is themajor issue currently in most states. We ask the public schools to address all of the issues, academic, personal, social, and career. Yet, we are cutting funding from the schools that sometimes need more. America is fortunate that we attempt to educate all of the children and provide them the best. However, there are still inequities in the education world. Where you live has  a great deal to do with the quality of education you receive. Some children require more.

Do charter schools do a better job? This varies considerably.

Is home schooling a better way to teach children? Not necessarily. It depends on the quality of the program used and the credentials of the home school "teacher".

Private schools do not have to take every child as public schools must. Therefore, the learning environment and discipline are supported by parents who are paying for the quality environment.

We need education to be a top priority for all. We need to support schools that fulfill the mission of producing well-educated and involved citizens for the 21st century.

1
0

chefmichael
chefmichael writes:
no ! my daughters both of which now live with me in myrtle beach , grew up in the detroit school system. for them no student left behind means  we pass you  if you know the material or not. it saddens me that they are now 17 and 18  and have the education of a 6 th grader . besides not knowing how to fill out an application  etc...  theyre self esteem isnt where it should be either because of the lack of interest teachers had in their students . im desperate to help them get back on track  in their  education  hopefully i can get some good advice  how to do that here .   thank you !

1
0
CBrimmer
CBrimmer writes:
Yes and no depending on the subject. My daughter is highly advanced in the academic areas due to me working with her since she was very small, however social skills are lagging because there were never any children her age around until preschool. She's getting the socialization and her teachers try to encourage her to challenge herself academically and find harder work for her, but of course they have to teach to class level not her specifically. I really wish that she could get the personalized attention that she needs, but even with a great school that keeps two teachers per class of 25 she still isn't improving as well as I would like to see. Of course that is also partially her own fault for not putting in the effort to self-start, and I share that blame as well (I can't work with her as much in the afternoons with the full time job I work now) All in all her school is great and her teachers amazing, public schools just don't have the resources to customize to each child.

0
0