MelissaDoesNotBully
MelissaDoes... , Student asks:
Q:

What should i do if i am scared im gonna get bullyed from telling people i have dyslexia (a reading disability) and how i sing? also how i look?

i have a reading problem and i dont really tell anybody i did one time in class but if i tell to many people what would they think? would they be mean or not? also i sing really good as my friends tell me and its hard to sing in front of everybody even boys im in middle school and im scared that when i do try out for this play in my school when school starts, that i will freeze up i need some advice. Now how i look is a big problem i am scared that boys think im ugly thats why they dont like me all they think of is looks how can i find the right person?
In Topics: Bullying and teasing, Anxiety, Depression

|

When it comes to your dyslexia, you probably don't have to tell anyone that you have it (unless it's a teacher or other school staff.)  Kids used to bully dyslexic kids quite a bit before people learned more about dyslexia, so it's possible that kids nowadays are a little less ignorant and less likely to give you trouble.  If you want to be safe, though, just keep it to yourself or between friends.  (Even though dyslexia is nothing to be ashamed of!)

Stage fright is a common problem amongst even some of the most talented people.  Your fear that you're going to "freeze up" is pretty understandable.  Some of the best advice you could get for this might come from your school instructors.  Talk to a chorus teacher or the teacher in charge of the school play.  Ask them what you can do to manage your anxiety better.

Lastly, don't jump to conclusions about the boys.  Middle school boys want to date but don't really know how.  If boys aren't talking to you, it doesn't mean you're not attractive!  Don't consider yourself ugly.  Look in the mirror and note the beauty, because it's there.

Take care!

MKM, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
2
0

Vanessa04
Vanessa04 writes:
Dont listen to them if they say your ugly.You know your perfect the way you are.If your about to get bullied then try to ask a grown up as fast as you can.

2
1
tall-Dominique
tall-Domini... writes:
Try to stay away from bullies.If they do bother you tell your parents, and try to get some friends to talk to.;)

1
1
WalterineCarr
WalterineCarr writes:
I work with a lady that was dyslexic when she was young and she told me that she read a lot and her parents would put the TV on close captioned and turn the volume down. Try out for the play close your eyes and think good thoughts and once you begin to sing you will forget that anyone is there. You can do it just say a prayer and go for it I know you will be "great"

1
0
Anonymous