MSRASR
MSRASR asks:
Q:

Are there any scholarship programs or alternatives that I can take to avoid sending my children to a failing school district?

I am a concerned mother with children ages 9, 6. and 3 in a failing school district in New Jersey. I was wondering if anyone knows of any scholorship programs or alternatives that I can take to avoid sending my kids to the area schools.  I want what's Best for my kids, but I can't afford to move or send them to private school. HELP!  
In Topics: Choosing a school

|
KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Hi Mom,
If any of your children attend a school that is listed as a "No Child Left Behind" funded school then you have the option of getting tutoring through the NCLB funding OR you also have the right to change schools. Since you said the children were attending a "failing school district" I assumed that the schools that your children attending were part of the NCLB funding. If the schools that your children attend are not funded by NCLB then the Federal Gov't, Dept of Education does not consider these schools as "under performing" and would not deem the District as failing. I am the founder of a Children Literacy charity in San Diego and we do award 30 hour scholarships in either reading or mathematics to students that are one year behind or more and that their parents make under $30K a year. I would also suggest you finding out if you have any local children€™s literacy charities in your area that offer the same type of scholarship.
If you have further information to offer then I may be able to give you additional recommendations. Keep the faith, Mom!

Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com Team

0
0
klathrop
klathrop writes:
I don't live in NJ, but in Florida you are entitled to a voucher to send your children to a neighboring school (this was one of the main points to "No Child Left Behind!). Check into programs that would pay for your children to go to a private school in the area. My husband is in the military and we still qualify...its usually income based. Sorry this is all florida related, but im sure there are similiar programs in NJ! I found our scholarship on the private schools' website! Good luck and dont give up:-)

0
0
Amanda-Turner
Amanda-Turner writes:
check with the board of education and see if you are able to pick a different school. some states or cities allow you to choose a school if the assigned school for your area has received multiple failing marks.

0
0