Charlene103
Charlene103 , Parent asks:
Q:

Can school change our child's class without our permission?

Our child was being bullied by three kids in his class since the beginning of the school year. They were kicking, hitting, punching him, hitting him with the subjects, spitting on his face, biting his arms! They are all 6 year olds! We kept talking to teacher, nothing changed and our child lost his trust with his teacher and kept saying "the teacher is not helping me, she doesn't care about me." The teacher actually ignored him even when he got injured physically. Instead, she comforted the bully kids by hugging them and comforting them with nice talk! We tried to talk to the parents nicely to work together and got rejected in a VERY MEAN WAY! We talked to the school staff and nothing changed. Finally we gave a bully report with 20 pages of incidents in it. They were only part of what was happening! After the report, in a few days, our child was removed from his classroom! Without his or our permission! They pulled him out of his class, right in front of his classmates. He was crying and asking for mommy when he was being pulled out of his class! They didn't even give him or his close friends a chance to say goodbye to each other! He was NOT the trouble maker, he was the victim! Why did they remove him from his class? Their defense is, they put him in a safe class now. It was for his best interest! We were not informed by phone or email or by a note about what THEIR DECISION was to solve the bully problem in his classroom. What should we do now? Please help.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Working with school administrators, Bullying and teasing

|
ChristinMcClatchie

Best Answer!

While your school was acting in what they felt was your sons best interest they handled this situation incorrectly. Now that action has been taken by the school, it may seem that there is very little you can do. However that is not the case.

1. I would file a written complaint with your School Board. This is a matter that could have been handled by the school principal, or even the teacher but in your case they have failed to do their job correctly. Don't be afraid to go above their heads. Provide them with your Bully Report, and all interactions you had with the teacher, and principal.

2. Talk to the schools Counselor, they can talk with your son in privater, and provide you with a better insight to how he feels about the situation.

3. File a formal complaint against the teacher. Her act of ignoring your child's physical injury is unacceptable, and she needs to be evaluated as well. As a teacher we are taught to prevent Bullying, and abuse. It is our job to protect your children, she was not doing her job.

4. Encourage your child, and continue to be his voice. Have his friends over for activities outside of school.

I hope that helps you some, and wish you luck in getting this problem solved.

1
0

Mama0711
Mama0711 writes:
You might want to ask a social worker and/or psychologist at the school about this procedure and look for a local bullying organization or something similar that can help advocate for you and guide both you and the school through this situation.

And document EVERYTHING. All phone calls, letters, even interactions with the teacher. Sometimes documentation or lack thereof can make or break your case.

1
0
CampbellsMama
CampbellsMama writes:
Unfortunately they can change his class and will probably use your documentation to validate it. It isn't right, but it isn't illegal.

Document, document, document.... every person present, what was said, what was done . . .  Volumes of paper seem to get the most attention.

If the counselor and/or principal on campus aren't responding in a way you feel is appropriate,  I would take it to the district office. And if they still blow you off - I'd go to the media. It seems extreme, but this is your little boy who is beginning his educational career in some pretty bad circumstances. How is this going to affect his entire academic experience, and ultimately, his LIFE!!! Bad experiences at an early age set the tone. You've got to help you kid know that this is not the way it  is suppose to be, and that he is not the one who should feel like the problem. Fight!

I am a teacher - at the high school level- but I'm also a mom and if this was happening to my son, I'd be kicking butt and taking names.
But that's just me : )

0
0
Anonymous