Reene asks:

Where is the best school for a child with fine motor skill problems? The other has epilepsy and both have been held back once.

In Topics: Back to school, School and Academics, Medical problems
> 60 days ago



Jun 16, 2009
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

The short answer to your question is the children with the kinds of problems that you have described can be served in a public school, but with appropriate accommodations. Have the children been tested and qualified for special education? If so, an IEP should have been developed to provide supports and intervention services to help them be successful. If not, they should be tested for special education.

A child with fine motor problems may qualify for special education with Dyspraxia: He would have access to a typing keyboard, like Alpha Smart and time with an occupational therapist.

A child with epilepsy can be qualified for special education under Other Health Impaired if their condition affect their academic performance. For more on this, please see:


L. Compian, Ph.D.
Child Psychologist

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely