scoutdad
scoutdad asks:
Q:

School Choice with IEP's

I have eighth grade twins, one has autism and the other has Di George Syndrome aka 22q. Their base high school has a reputation for not giving services for kids with IEP's or telling parents to put their children in other schools. I want to know if I have the right to put my kids in a nearby high school where both my wife and I and our children want to enroll in. Everyone involved from there SST's to the special ed department heads at both high schools tell us that we have on choice, we have to go to our base school. What are our options?
In Topics: Special needs

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk.

This is a long and involved legal question. Unfortunately JustAsk/ Education.com cannot give individual legal advice.  

You may wish to consult with the legal aide associations in your area. (fees may vary from place to place).

You also may wish to avail yourself of a child special education advocate (again fees may vary for you.)

In addition, each state has a Department of Education with special education subsidiary websites. I have the national website listing here:  http://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/Programs/EROD/org_list.cfm?category_ID=SEA

Feel free to connect with them to see if they can guide you and assist you.  I am sorry that I can be of no further assistance.

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0