ToddlerScholar
ToddlerScho... asks:
Q:

What school should I choose for my (possibly) gifted child?

I am doing my best to prepare my son for pre-k ...and need some ideas on what to do with my precocious muse. He started reading aloud when he was 2 (books), and now he reads as I type! I have to be careful not to go into administrative areas on the computer around him because he seems to master things so quickly. (Don't want him to change settings:0)

He searches for logos on google and notices the slightest changes.

His memory is amazing too...

Will a public school or charter school work?

In Topics: Choosing a school, My gifted child

|
Danielle
Danielle , Parent writes:
I don't think that you should decide in advance what "type" of school your son should attend. Some public schools have plenty to keep a gifted kid busy. I went to public school for my entire pre-college career. In kindergarten, we were all tested and I ended up getting pulled out for some enrichment that I think still affects the way I think today. (We read The Odyssey by Homer in 2nd grade. We brainstormed things like "How many uses can you find for a paper clip? And this was all in public school.) In high school, I attended a "magnet" program at another local high school in my district. This, too, was within the public school system.

Look into all the choices available to you in your area, be they public, private, or charter. Some charters may offer what your local public school can not, and vice versa. And several of my friends attended private schools on scholarship, which not everyone is aware may be an option.

1
0
lkauffman writes:
Coretta, for the time being, you have a "good" problem - how to best nurture and support an obviously bright and motivated little boy! Hooray!

Now what to do about it? I tend to agree with Danielle. A public school could serve your son just as easily as a private or charter school. That said, I think that it is probably worthwhile to research your local public school and its policies related to Gifted and Talented Education (GATE). You may have already come across this article, but for additional tips (and things to consider!), take a gander at the following info: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Identification/

If you still have a thirst for additional information, check out the following article, related to nurturing bright children: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Helping_Your_Highly/

0
0