dragon1
dragon1 asks:
Q:

Can a school deny a child the right of an education no matter what the circumstances are? Isn't this against the law in any state?

My nephew had to come to Virginia and live with me form Illinois. My sister had back surgery and could not financially or physically take care of him. She and I have signed paperwork giving me temporary guardianship but not though the courts. We got one from Illinois and one from Virgina, one is with witness's and the other with a notary. The school is now denying him to be enrolled because they said I have to have custody of him. I have read up on this and what I have understood is that no child can be denied the right of and education.

|

MTrejo

You are correct that no child can be denied the right of an education.  However, parents and guardians are still required to follow enrollment requirements of the individual state, country, or district where they want to enroll their child.  If there are local requirements that are not met, the school districts may not get refunded the 'daily average attendance' fees due to them by the state for that child. The state may not count the child. There may also be safety issues.  The school may not be able to provide the child with supplemental state and federal programs or services.  So my advise is to find out more about the enrollment requirements of Virginia and see what you need to do to fully qualify your nephew.
If the requirements seem unreasonable or burdensome to you, an alternative may be to enroll him in private schools.

0
0